• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Aligning footage in timeline with random layers

Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I know you can butt footage up to another one holding the shift key and dragging clip there.  But is there a way to align one clip to another when the layers are not in order?  For example, I want the clip in Layer 5 to butt up on the backside of the clip in Layer 2.  Holding shift does not do that since I'm not directly lining up to a layer directly above or below. 

Thanks for any insight,

Kevin

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I would do is just put my playhead at the beginning of Layer 2 and drag it so that Layer 5 snaps to the playhead. Additionally, the script Rift helps with layer positioning, and it's free! https://aescripts.com/rift/

~Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the tip and info Jake!

KB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select layer 2. Press o to go to the out point of that layer. Then, hit page down to go one frame foward. Select layer 5. Press [.
Boom. Snapped.

Or, probably better, edit in Premiere Pro. It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster than editing in AE. Then, once your clips are edited, use the Import Premiere Pro Sequence command to bring them into AE for adding your effects and motion graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the insight Szalam.  I'll try it out!

KB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Holding down Shift while draggin a Layer Stem will snap it to pertinent points in the Timeline - this includes, Keyframes, Layer IO points, Work Area IO points and Timeline and Layer Markers. You're most likely not slowing down you dragging as you reach the desired location - if you drag too quickly, you'll pass by the snap points and being sufficiently zoomed helps; especially if there are other snap points in close proximity. 
HTH

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines