• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alpha Channels in ProRes4444 not working anymore

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to export videos with an alpha channel in After Effects CC 2019 but it doesn't work anymore like it did in CC 2018. The alpha channel is always sold e.g. white. I guess that's a bug ... hopefully not a feature.

Premiere Pro 2019 also has Problems with ProRes 4444 files containing an alpha channel. It reads every alpha as completely solid. A project I started in CC 2018 worked fine - all alpha channels worked the way they should - now in Premiere Pro 2019 all Alpha Channels in ProRes4444 don't work anymore.

I am working an Mac with the latest version of High Sierra.

Anyone out there with similar experiences?

Flo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if render max depth is selected in export settings and/or sequence settings. uncheck it and see if that works... Appears to be a glitch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also experiencing this same issue and it destroys my workflows.  I'll be sticking in 2018 for the foreseeable future until they fix this.

As to the above comment, there's not a "Render Max Depth" option in AE sequence or export settings.  I don't know where you're getting that from, except maybe from Media Encoder which doesn't exactly help us here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm I'm seeing this issue as well.  After Effects is not reading the alpha channel of Quicktime ProRes 4444 files.

Mac Pro (Late 2013)

64GB RAM

OS High Sierra 10.13.6

I'll post a bug report, and recommend other users do to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A work around for now is setting your project dept to 8 bit per channel.

AE doesn't see the alpha channel in 16bpc or 32bpc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Care provided this message.  I think the best "workaround" is as they suggest: go back a version until they find the bug.  I can't work in 8-bit at this time, so this is my only and best option.

Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 9.01.32 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have animated lower thirds in ProRes 4444 and these show up with black background in Premiere 2019. Going to 8bpc doesn't help, and neither does turning off maximum rendering depth. Changing the renderer also produces negative result.

Adobe, please advise when a solution is available. Many thanks!

--Richard E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issues here. Terrible - complete workflow stoppage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe it's been almost a month and they still haven't fixed this, this seems to be a low-priority for Adobe. It makes AE 2019 completely unusable in our studio. We just happened to be lucky and opened a project that had several ProRes 4444 files in it to attempt a test render. That's when we discovered the flaw. Thankfully we weren't into any new projects or it would have been a nightmare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this was fixed in the latest release of 16.0.1 released on December 10. make sure your software is updated.

Bug fixes in the December 2018 release (version 16.0.1) of After Effects

so this bug: "When the project is set to 16-bpc or 32-bpc color, Apple ProRes 4444 QuickTime files render transparent alpha as opaque." was supposed to be fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2019 Feb 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is absolutely not fixed. Experiencing it in v 16.0.1 on Windows 10 64bit. It doesn't seem to be limited to ProRes 4444. It also happens with GoProCineform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2019 Feb 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stand corrected. It is definitely working correctly now. The problem was found in a layer in my composition. Sorry for the confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else having issues with alpha channels from AE into Premiere again? It seems AE is still not recognizing alpha channels correctly. I am on 16.0.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep, weird, inconsistent issues on graphics from AE to Prem. Looks like colour fringing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2019 Jan 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:

I have the same problem importing, Premiere Pro 2019 also has Problems with ProRes 4444 files containing an alpha channel. I found a video in YouTube #Viddyoze (and other MOV) Alpha Fix Adobe Import #Tutorial - YouTube that resolve my problem. In a lower third, overlays, etc., just changing the compression of the clip from Animation to PNG,

Deep Million colors. Using the Juicer from Digital Juice and also you can do it with Quick Time Pro.

Edwin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just picking up on this I'm having a nightmare with the latest Premiere Pro 13.1.3 & After Effects 16.1.2. I've tried both ProRes 4444 and Animation millions+ Its also really intermittent. The only way I seem to be able to make this work is to render a tiff sequence and then re-render the sequence in an old After Effects. I'm really disappointed that this problem has not been fixed since Oct 2018!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't had the issue recur in many months, and use ProRes 4444 with alpha every day, so whatever you're experiencing may be specific to your setup.

Please post all your system specs etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew

Up to date Mac Pro 2013 running latest After effects & Premiere. Reinstalled both apps from fresh and removed cash and prefs. Attached is a grab showing the fringing. The lower third has transparency however once transparency is removed the strap keys fine.

Tried both Pro Res 4444 and animation millions+.

Cheers

Nick

Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 17.31.33.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know the difference between Premultiplied and Straight Alpha Channels in AE?

My guess is that you need to change the type of Alpha Channel you render out from Premultiplied to Straight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nick Wiseman, that looks like a media player screenshot of file with an alpha channel. It could be completely normal. The only test is to import that file into an app like After Effects or Premiere Pro that will use and actually prefers straight alpha channels. What does it look like there? I'm having no problems with any ProRez 444 footage. Here's a test and the render settings:

Screenshot_2019-07-19 09.55.15_v8BF7a.png

Screenshot_2019-07-19 09.57.52_KA62L5.png

Then with transparency turned on. Except for the wireframe the comp and the footage are identical:

Screenshot_2019-07-19 10.03.21_0bDrm8.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nick, I was seeing that exact thing. It mysteriously went away without me having to do anything. I did find when I would go to import that alpha file into Premiere the first time, it worked. If I closed Premiere and launched it again, I would see the weird artifacts and the alpha channel would just not work. I would have to re-render the alpha graphic multiple times, each time I had to close premiere and re-open it. But like I said, that problem seemed to fix itself a few months ago for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mysterious!  Nick, I am running the same hardware as you and don't have any similar issue.  I can't add a great deal beyond what has been offered by Rick et al above, other than some hardware troubleshooting. 

Turn off Mercury Transmit in Preferences/Video Preview

Turn off hardware acceleration in Preferences/Display.

Turn off hardware accelerated decoding in Preferences/Import

Switch to Mercury Software rendering in Project Settings/Video Rendering and Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines