• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Animate Shape layer with Stroke effect

Participant ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Shape that was created from an Illustrator path (vector). I need to add the Stroke effect to that shape but it's not working. Why is that? How can I add the Stroke effect to a Shape layer? I do not want to use the Trim Path option, I really need to use the Stroke effect. Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stroke is applied to masks. You have to have a mask on a layer to turn it into a stroke.

There is nothing that I can think of that the Effects>Generate>Stroke effect can do that you can't do better and easier using a shape layer path and trim paths. Maybe it would help if you explained what you are trying to accomplish.

It is possible to add a mask to a shape layer, you just have to pay attention to the toolbar. You can even copy a shape path on a shape layer, then select the pen tool, make sure draw a mask is selected, then click anywhere on the shape layer to start the mask and paste. If the layer has not been transformed in any way (position, rotation, scale) the two paths will line up perfectly.

One other point. There is no reason to convert an AI file to a shape layer unless you are intending to use the shape layer animators or animate the original path. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Got it. However, the lines created with the Stoke effect are a little jagged. Anyway to smooth those out?

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 5.58.30 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshot looks suspiciously like the magnification factor of the Comp Panel is set to 400% or more. If that is true then your edges are just fine. The only way to judge the quality of an edge in After Effects is to look at the image with the Magnification Ratio is at 100% for normal displays or a maximum of 200% if you are using a Retina or other High-Resolution display. The screenshot does not look like a typically scaled shape layer or even a layer with the Stroke effect applied that has been scaled up. The only other explanation that I can give for the screenshot is that the Comp Panel resolution is set to something less than half. I believe that your concern over the image is entirely caused by a lack of understanding of the workflow or the User Interface and the Composition Panel. 

When you post screenshots it is always better if you show the entire UI and reveal the modified properties on the layers that are giving you problems. Do that by pressing the "u" key twice with the layer selected, then show us what you are doing and describe in detail your workflow and design goals. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is, in fact, a zoomed in image, more than 400%. I did not render a final version of my animation but I'm suspecting it will look fine, just like you wrote. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines