Exit

Animated map zoom

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

First post here!

I've got a client that wants to have the same kind of zoom/animated map that is shown within the first 45 seconds here: Video - Mountpark Warrington

I've created a similar, but far more basic one many, many moons ago (I'm a 3D visualiser not compositor, etc).

What are the basics/best practices for doing this? I'm a bit lost so if anyone could say "well, best to start with x and then do y, etc" would be tremendously helpful. Or a link to a tutorial?

Any help is much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

That earth zoom part was made based (and not to precise to be honnest) on old VC tutorial: VIDEO COPILOT  | After Effects Tutorials, Plug-ins and Stock Footage for Post Production Professionals 
As for animating lines on that 2D map there is several ways all depends on what kind of basic footage/images you have. That can be as simpe as masking another layer with yellow lines not blue, or draw shape layer  along paths that you wish to revealas different color and then using that shape as matte an

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Search for "earth zoom", there are plenty of tutorials out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys,

I think more than anything I'm wondering how to do the animated map - the zoom part I've done before. My apologies for not making that more clear.

I have done some basic work with lines that trace out before, but it was honestly just a line around a site - that's all. How would you go about creating these lines in the first place? I don't mind drawing them in by hand (or importing them from CAD? Is that even possible?).

Would the grey background they've used be done in AE or some kind of high res image imported from photoshop or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume the lines on the grey background could be done in Adobe Illustrator to keep it resolution-independent (though I've never used it). It could in theory be done with a normal image editor with large enough images but I think it's more likely been done in something like illustrator. The dark grey background with no detail could I assume just be a solid in AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so it's not the earth zoom but the street map animations.

You can create the background in AE, this makes the most sense, if you graphic don't have one.

For the streets, you can take a high-res image if you have. If not, you can create it in Illustrator or AE, too. All they are animating is the highlight color. So you have one graphic with the streets and another one with the highlight. From here, it's pretty simple be done by animating masks. The key to this all are layers!

Another way could be creating the streets right in AE as path layers. Then you can duplicate them, change the color to highlight and use "path trim" option to animate.

Have a look into "path animation with after effects" or "line animation with after effects".

Cheers,

Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That earth zoom part was made based (and not to precise to be honnest) on old VC tutorial: VIDEO COPILOT  | After Effects Tutorials, Plug-ins and Stock Footage for Post Production Professiona... 
As for animating lines on that 2D map there is several ways all depends on what kind of basic footage/images you have. That can be as simpe as masking another layer with yellow lines not blue, or draw shape layer  along paths that you wish to revealas different color and then using that shape as matte and with trim path  just animate in and out of that trim, or by using Write on, Stroke effect/plugin or paint. Here some examples:
How to Animate a Map Destination in After Effects in 2018 - YouTube

After Effects Tutorial: Stroke Logo Reveal Outline Effect - YouTube

The Handwriting Effect in After Effects CC - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the GeoLayers plug in, available from AE Scripts.  That would work for a few of the shots.  I looked at some of the tools in Google Earth a few months ago for automating gps traces but it is clunky, and seems to have been abandoned.  The map tracing is pretty basic pen tool line animation stuff. 

The music on that clip is painful.  My view is the clip shows solid technical expertise but very poor storytelling, which is, I am sorry to say, is what is important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all,

I will have a look into all of this and see how far I get. Please don't be annoyed when I come back with some basic questions! Haha

Again, many thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

also if you looking to create your own orb, this free plugin is very useful to get a high quality earth (texture included also)

https://www.videocopilot.net/blog/2018/09/new-tutorial-orb-plug-in-now-available/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines