• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anybody here still using Windows 7?

Contributor ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am. But I might be the only one. So I thought I would ask.

Please reply to this if you are still running Windows 7 on any of your machines where you also use CC products.

According to this article, 40% of Windows PC's still run Windows 7 and there is no way Microsoft will stick to the Jan 2010 cutoff date for Win7 support. So it seems worth supporting to me.

But I assume that Adobe has solid analytics and knows how many of its users are still running Windows 7. They knew I still had Win7 on my main workstation and sent me this today:

Hello [me],

Last week we announced the 2019 Release of Creative Cloud. The latest updates are not supported by older OS versions and can only be installed or run on supported versions of Windows or macOS.

To experience all our new features, you should install the latest version of your computer’s operating system. Upgrading your OS is the best way to ensure you get everything Creative Cloud has to offer.

Upgrade your OS

Sincerely,

The Creative Cloud team

So, did you get this message? If so, do you plan to upgrade? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have received the same message but didn't know to look for it until I read your post.  Work has been running CC 2018 on Windows 7 (64).  Premiere has been running slow for a few months now, since the 2017 CC release I believe.  4k footage could not be viewed properly without rendering PROXY files.  After Effects had problems rending as well.  Encoder would take an hour for a non-graphic heavy 30 second ad.  Also, Adobe was not using all the CPU when it was working either on a render or an export.   When we were doing some research we discovered  Adobe has not supported Windows 7 since the CC 2015 update.  Many on the internet suggest if you are sticking to Windows 7 back install your Adobe to CC 2015.  Monday our IT department switch us to Windows 10.  As a computer user, Windows 10 has a its own unbearable intricacies.  However, every issue listed above was fixed by updating the OS.  I don't know what kind of money Windows is putting into Adobe to force all its user to update the OS just to use the newest Adobe updates.  If you are having no troubles, continue as you are. Just be aware there will be no other updates available to you from CC on your Windows 7 computer.  If you are having issues, downgrade to CC 2015 or upgrade the OS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/bismarck+edit+3a1569967  wrote

Just be aware there will be no other updates available to you from CC on your Windows 7 computer. 

That's not entirely true. A majority of apps included in the 2019 release will work on Windows 7 as announced by Adobe here: Upcoming Changes to Creative Cloud OS Support for Windows and Mac | Adobe Blog  They're not supporting Windows 8 or some older versions of Windows 10, but they are supporting Windows 7 for "most" of the CC apps.

The problem is that they ARE NOT supporting Windows 7 for the DVA apps (digital video and audio - that is, the tools that you and I care about). If you want to run the latest version of them, we will need a recent version of Windows 10 or macOS. (Specifically, 1703 or later versions of Windows 10 and macOS 10.12 or later.) Details on that here (linked in the main article too): Adobe Video and Audio Apps: Upcoming Changes to OS Support | Adobe Blog 

In their defense, mainstream support for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 ended in January of 2015 (detailed by Microsoft here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet) . That said, there are bunches of folks still using Windows 7 out there! I was somewhat surprised by the announcement - especially since extended support of 7 Service Pack 1 is slated to run to January of 2020).

It doesn't affect me too much. I already went to Windows 10 in my freelance studio and (other than being annoyingly difficult to turn off auto-updating) I'm rather a fan of the new Windows. I prefer 10 over 7 once I customized it a bit. (Of course, I customized 7 too, but it was so long ago, I'd kind of forgotten how much work I'd put into tweaking it. )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right. It's just AE that I care about. I run old versions of everything else anyway since they run faster and more reliably.

So, yeah. It's just AE users that I'm wondering about. And the lack of response is showing me that perhaps I am the only one who cares about this. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was a big fan of Windows 7 Pro for sure, and a general fan of the flexibility and utility of the overall Windows OS too, but seriously it's crazy to keep W7 running this many years later.

Just on the security level alone it's worth it, and that's largely an invisible feature. I don't know why you didn't take the free upgrade to Windows 10, but whatever they were, they can't apply anymore. It also has many more artist/designer friendly features built into the way things work, and it is incredibly stable (assuming you are not running an over-clocked, over-heated gaming rig of course). I'll have Adobe apps crash but an actual OS crash/reboot is like a couple times a year if that. It looks nicer and is easier to navigate/customize too. It's also much better able to handle the latest hardware like HDR monitors and the like.

Windows 10 is many times more secure, easier to use and has so many built in maintenance features they is truly no reason at all to not move to it. Even if now it cost a couple hundred dollars (which is once, not a yearly thing) it's worth every cent. If you actually are running any kind of paid work on your workstation then it's that much more of a reason to do it and write off the cost next year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an issue with opening project files on Win7 if they were created on a Win10 system. This just happened today. I updated all my Adobe apps on my home PC and worked on a project file in Premiere. Brought it to the office today and tried to open it and it didn't work. It gave me the "This project was saved in a newer version of Adobe Premiere Pro and cannot be opened in this version." message.
So I updated my apps on the Win7 system and tried again.

No dice.

The Win7 version of Adobe CC will not update to the same level as the Win10 version.
I can't change the OS on my work machine. I can only change my personal machine, and I'm not downgrading back to 7 on there. So it looks like I'm stuck.

Does anyone know a way around this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 27, 2019 Apr 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ME!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my home machine, Adobe can stick that message where the sun don't shine.  I run CS 5.5 Adobe software on my Win 7 box.  It WILL NOT change.  It's a legacy machine.  I do not owe Adobe a dime for the software any more.

On my work machine, I don't care!  I'll do what the IT folks say I have to do.  I don't care one whit about Adobe's new sparklies because they typically don't work well.  I'm still running CC 2017, and on Win 10.  When they tell me I HAVE to run something newer, I will.... and I will let the IT folks solve the accompanying problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my home machine, Adobe can stick that message where the sun don't shine.  I run CS 5.5 Adobe software on my Win 7 box.  It WILL NOT change.  It's a legacy machine.  I do not owe Adobe a dime for the software any more.

On my work machine, I don't care!  I'll do what the IT folks say I have to do.  I don't care one whit about Adobe's new sparklies because they typically don't work well.  I'm still running CC 2017, and on Win 10.  When they tell me I HAVE to run something newer, I will.... and I will let the IT folks solve the accompanying problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot upgrade from Win 7 because my PC  manufacturer cannot supply a BIOS for Win 10. 

My question is. I just signed up for PR. I am looking for a reliable link to download the latest Win 7 version of it. This seems to be too hard a question for Adobe. Maybe someone here can help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm still running Win 7 Pro.  Refuse to upgrade to WIN 10.  Just don't like it.  Also my creative cloud just asked to up grade all my apps, which I stupidly agreed to and watched as it uninstalled my cc2017 version of Photoshop.  Had 19 but didn't like the GUI.  The fonts were all to small and nothing I could do to change it.  Same with 2020.  changing the display size in setting just made everything look like cr*p.  Luckly, I still had the original 2017 install files saved and re installed it.  The only reason.....and I mean the ONLY reason I would consider win10 is Adobe Premier won't run on win 7, and I really, really like that program.  Aside from that, I'm still running Acrobat 9 and Dreamweaver CS5.  But to be honest, I bought dreamweaver when it was still Macromedia and I have a retail version on CD (Remember those?)  I use the Corel Suite of programs for everything else.  Loved it when you could walk into CompUSA (Remember those?) and buy a software program that came in a box and gave you a 300 page user manual, and you owned it......instead of renting/leasing/subscribing or whatever the hell they call it now so they can make more money of the course of the suscription tha they every did selling a one-time version.  I'm guessing since 2005 I paid for at least 3 time the amount for Adobe products tha if I had bought them outright.  Adobe claims the benefit is free upgrades, but ya know what?  I have 4 programs that I haven't upgraded since 2009 and they work fine. Don't need new buttons or different screens.  The program opens and does exactly what I want it to do.  Progress...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines