• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Apply unsharp mask to layer without affecting feathered edge

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2019 Jun 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I draw a mask round an object and feather the edge, then apply unsharp mask, it also tries to sharpen the feathered edge which screws the edge up.

How can I sharpen everything inside the mask without sharpening the feathered edge?

I want to use unsharp mask and no other sharpening effect.

As a work around I am currently rendering the whole layer as an uncompressed avi with unsharp mask applied, then I'm going to re-import that footage to replace the original, then I will add the mask with the feathered edge.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to force AE's render order.  Apply unsharpen mask to the layer, then precompose it.  Then mask to the pre comp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can either pre-compose then add the mask to the pre-comp or you can put the mask on another layer above the footage with Unsharp Mask applied and then set up a track matte.

You could also duplicate the mask on the footage then add Mask1 as a compositing option. If your settings are fairly small this may work, but pre-composing or using a track matte is more efficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answers.

I still need help with these suggestions.

If I add unsharp mask to the layer then precompose it, the precomposed layer opens without the sharpening applied.

If I add the mask to the precomposed layer then come back to my main composition I get the same results.

I haven't used track mattes before so I'm looking through some tutorials on how to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I add unsharp mask to the layer then precompose it, the precomposed layer opens without the sharpening applied.

simply cut and paste the unsharpen effect from the master comp to the precomp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just managed to get it sorted by track matte using a long winded way.

I haven't found out how to (or if it's possible to) edit an ellipse shape the same way you can edit a mask ellipse shape by moving and adding bezier points.

So I created a new white square shape which I made bigger than the size of the whole composition then I copied and pasted my original mask into that and it created the exact shape I needed for a track matte mask.

About 10 minutes after doing the track matte thing I got the precomp technique to work.

When I was making the precomp earlier I didn't select "Move all attributes to the new composition".

Thanks again for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I just managed to get it sorted by track matte using a long winded way.

a valid option

I haven't found out how to (or if it's possible to) edit an ellipse shape the same way you can edit a mask ellipse shape by moving and adding bezier points.

use a bezier path when you create the shape and you will have editable vertices. if it's after the fact then right click on the path group and choose convert to bezier path

When I was making the precomp earlier I didn't select "Move all attributes to the new composition".

that's o.k, you should have not choose this for your situation. leave all attributes is just fine, simply cut paste the effect inside instead of it being outside.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines