• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio slowing down in playback (newest version)

Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I playback in the newest version of After Effects the audio always slows down after 3 seconds and then sometimes completely cuts out. I've tried lots of different fixes I found online but nothing works. I'm using a .wav file in 120 framerate. I don't know what to and I expect a program like this to be able to playback a song.

TOPICS
Audio , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Finally found a solution for now! What I did was when starting AE you click "make new comp from footage" in the second window. I then loaded my .mp3 into that and created a new comp. This should playthrough with no issues. I then changed the resolution in the Comp Settings to the resolution of my clips (1920x1080). I then imported my clips and it works! I don't know why I had to do all this just to play an mp3 file but I guess it works. Note I'm importing 120 fps clips into a 30 fps comp. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know how to both scrub and preview audio in AE?  If not, I'd learn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I do, I don't know how that would change the speed of the audio and not the video 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Audio does not have a framerate. Instead, audio has a sampling rate. I assume the framerate you reported is you Composition Framerate. Regardless, go to AE's Preferences Dialog, to the Preview Section and try enabling the Checkbox for Mute Audio when Preview is Not Realtime.

Let us know if this helps.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I checked the box and it does not let the audio slowdown but it still cuts out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of AE?

What are your audio settings in Project Settings?

What are your Audio Settings in AE Prefs>Audio Hardware?

Provide more info on your Audio Hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

version of AE: 16.1

Audio project settings: 48.000 kHz

Audio Hardware: "Device Class: MME"

"Default output: speakers (Realtek high definition audio"

"Latency: 40"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try increasing latency to 200 AND there should be a view of Sampling Rate in Audio Hardware. This is set in your OS - ensure this value is the same as what you have in AE's Project Settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is the sample rate set by your OS in the bios? or is there a setting in "sound settings" (I'm on windows 10 btw). The Sample rate on AE is 48000 Hz. I can't seem to find any setting in the Windows 10 settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so my sample rate for my headphones is the same as it is in AE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you not able to set your audio latency values in AE's Prefs>Audio Hardware section?

40ms may be putting too much strain on your audio hardware. Mine is set to 200ms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a settings menu I can click to change my headphone sample rate which when I change it does change AEs sample rate. If you mean if there is a setting directly in AE for me there is not. The Lowest setting there is "6-bit (44100 hz)" although there is a 24-bit one too. What do you mean by "ms"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh sorry im stupid I thought you said hz, yes there is a setting for me to change the latency, I changed it to 200

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exit and re-start AE and see if there is any improvement after setting the new audio latency value and ensuring audio sampling rates in AE and your hardware are identical. Let us know if there has been any improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope no improvement, I even tried making it the highest latency and it always still cuts out at the same spot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test other audio files on your system and see if they have the same issues - just to ensure that the issue isn't specific to the audio file. If the issue persists, please file a Bug Report. Provide Hardware Info, the AEP and Audio File. Don't forget to state that after enabling Mute Audio when Preview is NOT Realtime, audio slowdown is no longer an issue - this should be expected but the more info you can provide at the onset, then the more productive the troubleshooting process will be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I tried multiple different files and still nothing, so I guess here comes the bug report. Thanks for helping though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I've tried everything I could at this point, all my specs are up to standards, I've tried everything in this form, I've made a bug report about, I got into chats with Adobe Helpers and still I can't figure out how to solve this problem, I even uninstalled everything adobe on my computer and reinstalled it but still nothing works. I guess After Effects just doesn't want to work on my computer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An Online Forum isn't an ideal mode of communications for troubleshooting certain types of issues. In your case, it's apparent that someone has to access your system or be able to work with you in an interactive manner. Other than filing a Bug Report, have you tried contacting Customer Support?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did let someone into my computer, they dug around for about 2 hours and "their shift ended" by that point I just was left hopeless

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I figured something out. When I make a new comp based off the audio track I'm using it works perfectly fine! but when I add in clips I can't see them at all, besides a little dot in the preview screen. Also when I do this it makes the framerate 30, which is fine but when I add it in with clips already in the comp it is 120, I tried fixing it by making it 3o fps but then the audio is just really slow. Does anyone know?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally found a solution for now! What I did was when starting AE you click "make new comp from footage" in the second window. I then loaded my .mp3 into that and created a new comp. This should playthrough with no issues. I then changed the resolution in the Comp Settings to the resolution of my clips (1920x1080). I then imported my clips and it works! I don't know why I had to do all this just to play an mp3 file but I guess it works. Note I'm importing 120 fps clips into a 30 fps comp. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yup -- you found a solution FOR NOW and little else.  There are a whole boatload of mp3 variants, some of which AE does not like, so you're MUCH better off just not using mp3's.  Just use Audition to convert them to wav files and life gets better.

I for one never, EVER use mp3's in AE.  Too much grief.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines