Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto-scale image to always fill composition when changing its position

Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've been searching everywhere for this and haven't found how to do this.

What I'm trying to do is to have a composition that is for example 4k (3840 x 2160)

and to have a still image that I insert into my composition that's sometimes larger than the composition and sometimes smaller than the composition and varies in sizes like portrait, landscape and square images, regardless, I just need to create an expression on the image Scale property that will automatically fill the whole composition regardless of where I move the image.

Say that I animate the image position from point A to point B, I want the image to maintain a constant scale that fills the entire composition throughout the whole animation for the image.

Please help.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

This is another possible interpretation of what you may be asking for. It will scale the image layer uniformly to keep the comp view full of the image while you move the image around:

p = position;
xScale = p[0] > thisComp.width/2 ? p[0]/(width/2) : (thisComp.width - p[0])/(width/2);
yScale = p[1] > thisComp.height/2 ? p[1]/(height/2) : (thisComp.height - p[1])/(height/2);
s = Math.max(xScale,yScale);
[s,s]*100

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

You could do something like this, but it will be slow if your comp is long. (You could always do Animation > Keyframe Assistant > Convert Expression to Keyframes once you're happy with the result.)

t = Math.max(inPoint,0);
maxS = 0;
while (t < thisComp.duration){
  p = position.valueAtTime(t);
  xScale = p[0] > thisComp.width/2 ? p[0]/(width/2) : (thisComp.width - p[0])/(width/2);
  yScale = p[1] > thisComp.height/2 ? p[1]/(height/2) : (thisComp.height - p[1])/(height/2);
  s = Math.max(xScale,yS

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something like this will stretch (or shrink) your image layer, non-uniformly, so that the image is the same size as the comp:

[thisComp.width/width,thisComp.height/height]*100

I'm not sure if that's what you're asking for though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Joost. I did saw that video before posting my question here. The expressions from the video work well as long as you don't move your image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is another possible interpretation of what you may be asking for. It will scale the image layer uniformly to keep the comp view full of the image while you move the image around:

p = position;
[s,s]*100

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind the reply I just posted. This expression is exactly what I needed. Thank you Dan.

One more thing, what change can I make to the expression you suggested to have the image maintain the same scale?

If I animated the position of the image from point A to point B I suppose that a calculation needs to be made to get the scale of the image at the point that is further away from the center of the composition and keep that same scale throughout the whole animation.

I'm trying to figure out how to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could do something like this, but it will be slow if your comp is long. (You could always do Animation > Keyframe Assistant > Convert Expression to Keyframes once you're happy with the result.)

t = Math.max(inPoint,0);
maxS = 0;
while (t < thisComp.duration){
  p = position.valueAtTime(t);
  maxS = Math.max(maxS,s);
  t += thisComp.frameDuration;
}
[maxS,maxS]*100

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works perfectly. Thank you very much Dan. You're the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

did you know you are a wizard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for to suggestion Dan. If the image is square in size and my composition is 3840 x 2160 the image will look stretched with the suggested expression and will not maintain its aspect ratio.

Another thing is that the expression will work fine as long as the image position is not moved away from the center of the composition.

What could I do to maintain the image's aspect ratio while autoscaling the image to fill the composition with the image not being at the center of the composition?

I need the image to autoscale (maintaining its aspect ratio) every time I change the image's position in my composition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also trying to do this but I haven't found the above solution perfectly works for me. I want to know what is the expression logic for the "fit to comp" option in after effect. I'm adding all the given expressions but the expression won't be able to fit the comp size sometimes it gets stretched or shrink. Can you provide me or guide me how do i do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are three fit options in After Effects under Layer > Transform: Fit to Comp, Fit to Comp Width, and Fit to Comp Height.

Use the appropriate option for source footage item when it's being scaled to fit the Comp.

I've found all three to be very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answering. I know these methods using the GUI of after effects. But I want to apply fit to comp method by giving expression logic. Any way to do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A scale expression like this?

w = thisComp.width/width;
h = thisComp.height/height;
w > h ? value*h : value*w;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By using the above expression then this things happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, OK. How about this then:

(w > h ? [h,h] : [w,w])*100;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also works but not as I want. Thanks for your support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, what do you want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kishan29350090aix3_0-1681276569116.png

After applying the above expression, it looks this way. But I want to make a full fit to the outer composition. Like: 

Kishan29350090aix3_1-1681276695608.png

I have done this way by using the transform layer property of fit to comp. But I want to apply fit to comp through expression. Is there any way to do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you'd need something like this for scale:

[w,h]*100

and like this for position:

[thisComp.width,thisComp.height]/2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your support @Dan Ebberts It's working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you want to increase the source footage size such that the width and height always exceed the Comp size.  So, use Dan Ebberts Scale expression set high enough above 100 such that the source image can pan and always filling the Comp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines