• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open After Effects project (possible Dynamic Link issue)

Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an After Effects project that I am unable to open. When trying to open the file, After Effects freezes with the "Open Project" dialogue box, but nothing happens. This started happening today, after using Dynamic Link to link a Premiere Pro project with the After Effects project. There didn't seem to be any issues (I was able to incorporate some of the Premiere Pro clips into the AE project) until I closed the project and later tried to open it again. Now it won't open at all (AE freezes). Unfortunately, the auto-saves don't help as I can only open ones from the day before (which means a lot of work is lost). I tried creating a new project and importing the problem project there, but AE freezes when I try to do that as well. It also didn't help having the Premiere Pro project opened first, then opening the AE project.

This is the first time I've had this issue, and also the first time I've used Dynamic Link in an After Effects project. Some web searches show that others have also experienced this issue when using Dynamic Link to link a Premiere Pro project from within an After Effects project, but I didn't find any solutions (besides the ones I mentioned trying above). Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!

** If it helps **

Using the latest versions of After Effects CC 2018 and Premiere Pro CC 2018 (no updates for either according to the Adobe CC app)

Windows 10 Home

Processor: Intel Core i7-4710MQ CPU @ 2.50Ghz

Ram: 16 GB

System type: 64-bit operating system

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: I have now been able to open the project. Not sure why it wasn't working before (though I suspect it was related to the Dynamic Link). Some additional details I neglected to mention above:

* I originally closed the program because I noticed the Premiere Pro clips were not updating, after making some changes, despite using Dynamic Link in the AE project (and even with PP open). After closing the program, I tried opening the project again, and that's when it wouldn't open.

* I did also try restarting my computer, clearing the cache, etc., none of which helped.

* After almost 24 hours, and no other actions (besides what has already been mentioned), the project finally opened.

I will update here if this happens again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem today. I did contact the customer support. I recieved an instruction to clean up after effects on my system. After 2 hours of doing this procedure it worked again.

1h later (closing AE for some reason), same error. Cant open project anymore.

In my situation these are just AE projects which have a linked Adobe Premiere Project (imported).

Was it the same on your system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, for me it was also just an AE project that had a linked Premiere Pro project that wouldn't open. So far, the same issue hasn't recurred. I can open the AE project now, though the Dynamic Link to the Premiere Pro project isn't working well (doesn't seem to update).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input. You are right it seem to be a dynamic link issue.

I renamed the premiere project and now when after effects cant find the project its offline and the after effects project can be opened.

well, at least I can continue to work on it, even though not with the premiere sequences.

A workaround at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the tip! With this workaround I was able to rescue and fix my project.

For me, I'm pretty sure the issue was that I accidentally created a loop where the Premiere sequence was a (hidden) layer in the AE comp, and the AE comp was a layer in the Premiere sequence. Once I deleted the Premiere sequence from the AE and reloaded the comp in Premiere, everything was fine. First time using dynamic link between Premiere and AE so... oops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try opening up memory preferences and set 8 and 8 or 12 and 4 for other apps. Sometimes setting memory allocation to multiples of 4 GB will solve Dynamic Link problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow... this worked for me. It's super hacky, but I'm not complaining. Thanks for your intricate knowledge Rick! 

You'd think that software this old wouldn't be so quirky. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are there any new solutions? I have the same problem now. I can't cound how often I already reinstalled ae and pp, renamed the file. cleaned up everything with cc cleaner. I can't open that ae file anymore.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have encountered the same problem today.

Has anyone found any solotions to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys, I saw here that people still are having this trouble, here a little tip that worked for me.

I got to the Task Manager and closed all Creative Cloud-related apps, I started both projects - from the premiere and after effects - then the project opened fine.

I Hope, this helps someone 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this problem too. I haven't found the magic formula, but I do a variety of the following tasks and often get lucky with the right combo:

1. Open after effects (not the project), empty the cache - empty cache in premiere too just in case

2. Change the name of my project(s) before opening

3. Activity monitor (mac): close dynamiclinkmanager

4. Instead of connecting my composition in Premiere via dynamic link, I drag and drop directly from after effects to premiere (I'm pretty sure it's the same thing, just a different procedure)

Good luck everyone ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for posting those troubleshooting techniques. Force quitting dynamiclinkmanager did break the link between my AE and Premiere projects, but it allowed me to open an AE project that otherwise just wouldn't... big relief!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this issue because I brought a Premiere file into After Effects and then brought that After Effects file back into Premiere. Then when I tried to re-open After Effects, it kept getting stuck. My solution was to move the Premiere file location. I moved it to my desktop. Then After Effects loaded and just said that it was missing a file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've found a solution that also lets you re-use your files!

First, what causes the problem is a recursive Adobe Dynamic Link problem. I had a dynamic link from Aftereffects to Premiere, and then when I tried to link Premiere to my Aftereffects, the problem started occuring where the file wouldn't open. My assumption is that they're constantly trying to recursively open the other one(hence why if you open up the task manager, you'll be able to see ProHeadless eat up every single bit of your memory).

In order to solve this, we need to find the auto-save version of your latest Premiere project that has not created a dynamic link yet. I tried just deleting all the dynamic link clips, but that didn't seem to work either, but someone else might find a better solution there in terms of unlinking.

So:

1) Find the latest auto-save file of your Premiere project in your autosave file.
2) Move it to your main project folder.
3) Rename your current Premiere project to something else
4) Rename your auto-save file to your old Premiere project name
5) Open your Adobe Aftereffects Project! It'll take a little bit to figure itself out, but it should now work!

At least, this is what worked for me, and saved my project. Hope this is helpful for someone else!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines