Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC 2018 Composition Window does not update

Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have seen a few posts about related issues. When I am working in CC 2018 the composition window often does not update. I have attached 2 screenshots where I toggled layers on and off, waited for a while (10-30 seconds) and saw no change. I made other changes which were not updated (levels, other) but this is the most obvious.

Layers on

CC2018_layers_on.png

Layers off - same display in composition

CC2018_layers_off.png

MBP Retina, 16 G Ram, OS 10.11.6 - I have updated my drivers, checked settings, cleared cache/memory.

As a note, for me 2017 and 2018 are not usable or reliable. I rely on 2014.

Thank you,

Paul

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Hi Nonregla,

Sorry about this. Can you contact us for 1-1 support then? Here's how: FAQ: How do I contact Adobe Support?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been happening to me as well. I uninstalled then reinstall the app, and it worked for a while( opening and closing the program 2 or 3 times), then it decided to do it again. I uninstalled and reinstalled again and it seems to be working so far. I sent in bug reports but i guess we'll see what happens...There is always 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also, for me, when this is happening the "Effect & Presets" panel goes blank(empty) and is not able to refresh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi pkoneoneone,

Are you still having trouble with the UI not updating? Please let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes it is still happening.

The only fix for me right now is to constantly restart AE. So basically, i just have to restart AE until it works correctly.

If the "open recent file" screen does not come up after starting AE then I know I will have problems. If that happens then I restart. Then if the "open recent file" screen shows up then I know it will work correctly, and I can continue to work as usually.

It is a very strange bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nonregla,

Sorry about this. Can you contact us for 1-1 support then? Here's how: FAQ: How do I contact Adobe Support?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having exact the same issue.

Screen Shot 2017-12-19 at 11.30.20.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-19 at 11.30.29.png

comp window does not update without playing or dragging the playhead in the timeline.

so whenever making changes it doesn't show what I'm doing. even simpel textadjustments wont show up untill i start preview....

also when just positioning the playhead a few frames before or after current position, it only shows the previous position when moving the playhead a second time. (see screenshots) even empty timeline still the previous playhead position.

very hard to work this way...!

thanks for looking into this asap.

cheers,

jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried purging Cache/memory?

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the main system (mac) or in after effects?

after effects  = yes / system = no

this problem does not occur all the time. only in about 50% of the times I open AE.

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In AE, Edit>Purge - choose to purge Cache and Memory

In AE's Preferences, in the General Section, towards the bottom of the Window, deselect Show Start Screen on Startup - see if this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, let's hope the problem doesn't recure after this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found the solution to this problem "comp window not updating"

- when the 'effects & presets' panel is open at launch, the start-up window doesn't appear and the problem occurs.

- when you close (or hide) the 'effects & presets' panel before quitting ae, so it doesn't have to load the presets at start-up,

the start-up window does appear at launch and the problem does not occur.

maybe there are other things involved,

but this does the trick for me.

cheers,

jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this issue happen to me.  What happened to me was I had a precomp opened and used the puppet tool on a layer.  Then when I went back to my main comp, the window wouldn't refresh.  Once I deleted it, it refreshed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This same thing also happened to me and when I deleted the puppet tool effect, it worked again. Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar issue. My comp window does not update until I move the CTI. Then it shows my changes. It's very annoying and disruptive to my workflow to have to constantly move the CTI to see changes. I've tried everything I can think of (restarting, trashing prefs, purging cache, etc). If anyone has a solution to this please let me know. Using version 15.1.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your issue is quite different - your comp DOES update but only after moving the CTI. Did you inadvertently disable te Live Update feature? The Live Update feature is enabled, by default. You'll find it in a Comp's Menu - see image below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. Live Update is checked. After quitting and restarting SEVERAL times, it finally started working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue came back, and the weirdest part is that it happens in both CC2017 & CC2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still facing this problem. Didn't found yet a good solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same, or similar issue with AfterEffects not updating, or reflecting the changes to layers, timeline, etc.

AfterEffects used to be very reliable. Something changed recently...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try to purging Cache/memory this must help you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. When te window "effect & preset" is open the comp window does not updata. I have to close the window and restart AE, both CC 2018 and 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With all due respect Keven this is not an answer.  It simply kicks the can down the road.  When I call support [and they are great BTW] the voice prompt tells us to check the forums first.  Why bother with forums when support is the answer?

Cutter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines