• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color gradients in an animated gif

Contributor ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have any experience optimizing image quality with text and a color gradient when exporting an animated gif?  So far I keep getting some artifacting in the color gradient.  The color gradient itself doesn't move, but the lines that go over the spectrum do.  Is there a way that I can clean this up?  I haven't tried exporting a png sequence and importing that into Photoshop yet, but that might be my next move unless one of y'all know of a handy setting I haven't thought to try yet.

Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 10.13.01 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are only 256 colors available in a GIF. The best way to optimize the colors is to render a lossless movie of your gif using the Lossless Output Module preset in the render cue and then open that movie in Photoshop. You can also eliminate any duplicated frames, adjust the timing of each individual frame, and further optimize the Animated Gif in Photoshop. None of those options are available in After Effects. If you are producing a lot of these files on a regular basis I would look into a tool specifically designed for that format. You will be a lot more productive and end up with a better product.

If your project is destined for the web I strongly suggest that you consider using SVG instead of Animated GIF. The file sizes are considerably smaller, you have a lot more design flexibility, and you will be using cutting-edge tech for your clients instead of 20-year-old tech that never was a designers friend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks.  I'll bother taking this into Photoshop.  The whole thing, is half 3D animation using renders from Cinema 4D, so I don't know how practical the SVG solution would be with this particular one, but it's not a bad reminder to have as other projects come up with different parameters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines