• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Complete Noob here, this is what I want to achieve

Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done tutorials out the yin yang but I am finding this program super complex to understand.  It def isnt as easy as premier pro.

I want to do a fun effect where its my head instead of kramers in this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3TKEWt9Q5Q

What I did was goto the frame where it first shows the turkey on the counter.  

My thoughts are this:

Create a mask to cut out his head, use content aware fill to fill the space.

I created the mask, turned on mask path, went to the end of the frame where I want it to end, but how do I end the mask path so the mark doesnt continue onto the scene?

I hope this makes sense.

If there is an easier way to do this, I am open to all suggestions!

Cheers!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easier?
- Rotoscope the foreground turkey parts
- Place head larger than Kramer's 

image.png

I don't know what you mean by "continue onto the scene". You might want to isolate the clip to i/o.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont know anything about rotoscope, but I will give it youtube and check it out!

What I mean by continue onto the scene is, when I made a mask of kramers head, it went into the next "scene" or frame where it showed Newman.  So there was a cut out peice on newmans scene.  I didnt know how to end the mask.  If that makes sense lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like to add my head turning and saying hello just as the clip.

I had a look on youtube on rotoscope, its pretty cool, but I am so new I just don't know how to keep going.  I was able to get the outline made with the rotoscope, but then what?  

I wish I could just get this stuff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

would you be willing to do a video tutorial you can send me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is what I mean by my mask going into the next frame.  How do I make the mask stop when its just the frame on kramer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The composite will be easier if you use the same shot of the turkey because the camera isn't moving. 

You need the turkey layer on the bottom of the timeline. You then need to match the camera angle and lighting of the shot of your head. It is going to be easier if you shoot the shot of your head with a green background, so you can use Keylight to remove the background. The last step is to add a mask to the shot of your head, cutting off the heck and feathering the edge. The final step would be properly positioning the head to hide Kramer's head and applying some color correction to the head layer. 

Yes, After Effects is complicated. I suggest you spend some time in the Learn workspace so you can figure out the basics of the UI. Then, you should spend some time with the User Guide. I don't know anyone who has gotten very far with AE without spending a couple hundred hours studying. Just jumping on YouTube and looking for AE tutorial recipes is extremely inefficient because a lot of them were prepared by enthusiasts, and many of them have questionable workflows and poor explanations. After Effects is all about layering, masking or trackmatting, blend modes, and the efficient use of effects.

I'll share one of my favorite images from a post I made long ago. I think it makes a good point.

RickGerard_0-1632541107307.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can really appreciate that picture Rick! It sure is true.

I agree with you on the Youtube tutorials, many are from years ago as well which aren't updated.

I do have a green screen, so shooting my head shouldn't be too hard.  Its the masking I just cant seem to grasp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I mean by my mask going into the next frame

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines