• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drop down menu in toolbar not appearing [After Effects 16.1.2] macOS Mojave 10.14.6

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6

After Effects 16.1.2

iMac Retina 5k 27in Late 2015

I have ran into an issue where I cannot right click to access the drop down menu's in the toolbar. i can left click to select the main element, but that's it. Issue is unique to after effects. Other spaces in AE can be right clicked without issue, it is strictly in the toolbar. I can toggle through them by holding cmd and left clicking (ex. if I cmd + left click rectangle, it goes to rounded rectangle tool, click again goes to ellipse tool, etc) but this is annoying and less than ideal. So far I have:

Restarted the program and computer.

Verified OS and AE are up to date

Tried different mouse, one wired and one bluetooth, switched batteries on wireless mouse

Toggled off/on bluetooth settings

Reset saved workspace. Played around with different preset workspaces, all of them share the same error.

Detached the toolbar from the rest of the workspaces, still did not appear

Reset AE preferences on program launch

Disabled 'displays have separate spaces' in mission control

Nowhere else do I have this issue and I am only using one monitor. I will be checking up on this post regularly, if there is any additional information I can provide please just ask. Next step is to uninstall and reinstall the program which I really am trying to avoid doing. I have an intermediate level of understanding when it comes to troubleshooting so please throw whatever you got at me, all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Title was edited by: Mod

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 08, 2019 Aug 08, 2019

Hi Nick,

Thanks for reaching out. I appreciate all the steps that you have done to fix the drop-down not appearing issue with After Effects.

• What happens when you long hold the left click on the tools?
  • Do the shortcuts work for the toolbar options? For example, Q for rectangle tool, Cmd+T for Type tool, etc

Let me know.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 08, 2019 Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick,

Thanks for reaching out. I appreciate all the steps that you have done to fix the drop-down not appearing issue with After Effects.

• What happens when you long hold the left click on the tools?
  • Do the shortcuts work for the toolbar options? For example, Q for rectangle tool, Cmd+T for Type tool, etc

Let me know.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2019 Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, long left click brings up the drop down menus, and the shortcuts work. So thank you very much-- only why is it the case that right clicking these menus doesn't bring them down? Is this just something I was the last person to discover?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am happy to know that it was a mere confusion. Right Click never opens the drop-down for tools.

Give us a shout if you need anything else. I'll be happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nickr57001257  wrote

Is this just something I was the last person to discover?

Nope, just one of the many rookies learning the application.  You're in good company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, 

You are not the only one! It has taken me a long time to figure this out too. After a long time using other adobe applications where right click drops the menu down, I asumed it should be the same in afte effects!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines