• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Element 3D Text has strong artifacts when camera moves

New Here ,
Jul 02, 2022 Jul 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a 3D text with Element 3D and I am putting a simple "move" on the text in After Effects.

When I move the camera, the letters have a strong wabbly effect at the edges. This unwanted effect is gone when the camera remains static and I simply move the object (3D text). What could be the problem here? I am attaching 2 videos - the bad-looking "moving camera" and the smooth "moving object". 

Thanks in advance for any hint.

This video shows the camera move with the artifacts:

[video]

This video has just the object moving, the camera is static - no artifacts

[video]

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video size is too small. Here are two larger versions:

This video shows the camera move with the artifacts:

[video]

This video has just the object moving, the camera is static - no artifacts

[video]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are seeing normal antialiasing and filtering, which is perfectly normal. That and of course there's just no point in zooming in 800 % in AE for any of this. All that matters is how it looks at 100 % and in your case this is perfectly fine within the limitations of the E3D render engine. Perpendicular edges always show some sort of wobble due to how from one moment to another the edge can fall out of a given pixel sample area and produce a completely different AA pattern when entering the next pixel. Your move being so slow certainly will exacerrbate this behavior. Feel free to experiment with changing the AA settings and motion blur, use a different font, change the camera move. Again, everything here is normal.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much, Mylenium. Yes, it makes sense the way you describe it. I'll still go with moving the object because nothing (or much less) wobbles there. I know that nobody looks at an animation at 800%, but I am hyper-sensitive to any artifacts. These titles will ultimately be transferred to a film DPI, where you look at things on a big screen (my composition was in 2k - doing it in 4k might also be a good idea to make things smoother). Banding, edges, so much can look really ugly on a big theatrical screen, since it will kind of be blown up "800%". That's why I always apply a 0.1% fast box blur on any typography to smoothen any jagged edges. We've had absolute finishing nightmares with soft dark gradients. It looked fine in After Effects, but the DPI version was a series of rings. So, the wobbly edges were just another cause for anxiety, normal or not.😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines