• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

End Credit Roll Stutter - Math Formula (Dave LaRonde)

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone!

I searched for a while on this, and cannot find what I am looking for. 

The amazing Dave LaRonde had an incredible math formula that I used to use to create smooth end credits, but I have since misplaced the formula, and am looking for it again.

Does anyone have the formula?  To clarify, I am not searching for the expression that goes within the position keyframes, its a specific math formula you use to figure out what pixel movement is needed, and how to do it.

Dave, if you see this post, could you help me out sir?

I have tried many ways to get the smooth credits and just seem to get it to look smooth.  I've tried so many expressions I have found on here. 

I welcome everyone's comments and advice.

Thanks so much everyone!!!

Joe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'd get a lot of people who would argue about that "amazing" stuff.  And it really isn't much of a formula, either.  It's just a way to keep the tops & bottoms of letters from looking like they're frying as they roll up the screen.

The key is to move the text vertically in integer pixel increments on each and every frame -- 2 pixels vertically per frame, 4, 10, whatever.  2.85 pixels per frame, for example, is strictly forbidden.  Then AE's subpixel rendering ought to make the the text look consistent.  You won't be able to control the speed of the roll very precisely, you can't do anything much about the duration of the roll, you can't make the roll speed ramp faster or slower,  but at least the text will look nice.

That's really all there is to it.  I've had to use this trick about a half-dozen times in the last decade, it works fine, but I always have a lot of arithmetic to do to get the roll to move in integer pixel increments.  It works, but it's a pain.

I suppose somebody (not me) could write an expression to move a layer vertically in integer pixel increments fairly easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dave!! Thank you so much for responding!  And yes, AMAZING is the correct word.

I tried what you are suggesting already, and it's just not working. 

I remember an older formula you had, where you take the start position, and then the end position and subtract, or add or something, then it tells you a number to use, do you have that formula anymore? 

I am going to try your suggesting again today and see what I can come up with. 

Thanks again for helping out Dave. 

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines