• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

End of the world

Advocate ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A day after upgrading all my apps -Lr, Ae, AI, Pr, Ps, Id- illustrator started crashing.  Then Lr, then Ps, then Ae. I got on the support chat line.  Oh, it’s your video card.  I made the mistake of letting them control the computer, at the end of the session the Lr guy tells me everything is fine I won’t have any more problems. He says this with the certainty of a deity,  But he can’t help with illustrator, and transfers me.  All over again, the same thing, but this guy says, oh, it’s your graphics card ( it’s always the graphic card).  I pull the graphics card and replace it with another one.  Same problems.  I uninstall apps and re-install. No joy.  Lr gets worse, backup catalogs won’t load, I get a message saying the catalog is in use, close it. I restart, uninstall, nothing works. Windows is up to date. It’s diagnostics say no problems.  My antivirus is fine, This machine just does Adobe work, nothing more, no web surfing, no shopping, no downloading, no games, nothing

Every other app on the computer is fine, VLC, all the Microsoft stuff, everything. Pr works, Id works, Ps works.  Ae, Ai , Lr are  totally gone.  They either crash on startup or freeze.  I went through the diagnostics on Ai, like seven levels, it had me delete brushes, no change. I reinstalled without saving preference, no change.  I’ve lost three days of work, I’m missing deadlines and am going to start losing clients. I’d crawl across broken glass naked before I’d let the gentlemen in India get their remote hands on my computer again.  It’s a 5960 8-core running a 1070 graphics card, on Windows 7.  I built it, I’m a mechanical engineer. I was thinking of just upgrading  to Windows 10, but now I’m not sure even that would solve the problem. If this happens one more time I have to get more reliable software, I can’t run a business like this. I’m past angry, at this point I’m not even sure replacing the computer would fix it.   Anybody got any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of the Nvidia driver are you using? With multiple support people telling you that your GPU is the problem did anyone suggest updating your driver? Nvidia just started making "Creator Ready Drivers," and the first one came out on March 20th, version 419.67. Drivers | GeForce  These drivers are supposed to be much more road tested for creative applications, and specifically Adobe ones, and this version of 419.67 is different than the Game Ready 419.67. GPU drivers often cause so many issues so I'm hoping that this really simplifies the diagnosing process and takes a lot of the guesswork out of the "is this driver going to tank my machine or not?" issue that we all face.

If you are already running the Creator Ready Driver then I would suggest creating a new user account and trying to launch your apps. Are these crashes so reproducible that you would easily be able to tell if a new user account stopped them from happening? If so, then it's possibly a permissions issue,which can often be the source of slow launching/crashing/weird nonsense across multiple Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions. That’s the first thing the support guys always do, update the drivers.  And it always does, in my view, the same thing.  Nothing.   The drivers were updated, the support guys put in one dated April 11, but that card is out of the computer now, I put in an older card I had laying around, a different model, and the apps are still doing the same things. And it has its current driver, but it’s a few years old. It does seem we are a tiny bit of the graphics card market and suffer because of different needs.

Each of the apps crashes in a very reproducible way, and each differently.  And on top of that Lr was restarting and the power to my house went out, now the catalog is hosed. And the backup gives the same bizarre error message, saying I have two instances running, close one.  I have done a lot  of failure analysis in my day, and this seems to be something not in Windows. I’ve changed too many things to no effect, and the other apps are working. And when I reinstall with or without preferences I get the same result.

The new new user account is a good suggestion, it does seem baked in. I will try to figure out how and do that this afternoon. When I get back from my root canal/crown/filling dentist appointment; three hours of drilling on a molar or two will be a pleasant break from the joy of Adobe.  So much winning. So much winning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I was surprised that they suggested the GPU, since these issues don't sound like the GPU issues, but as you didn't mention the driver I figured it was worth a shout.

Given that this is such a holistic issue I feel like something got royally screwed up somewhere in your Adobe folder or user account, so hopefully the new account sheds some light on this. Also, unfortunately uninstalling and removing prefs doesn't always kill everything, which is why there's the CC Cleaner tool Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems, but even then I've still had issues after reinstalling, and in those cases permissions were always the culprit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you lost time anyways, I suggest a fresh reinstall of the OS. If several support guys messed around with your computer, it could took days to find the issue - if even possible.

Keep Win7 or take this as an opportunity to update to Win10, since Win7 is no longer supported by Adobe and Microsoft as well.

I did this at the start of this year and Adobe software as well as the computer are running very well.

Do you still have the previous versions, or did you update with de-installing them? Also, pay attention to your LR catalog and general backups - I would not touch them until the software runs again.

I never update while on a project. I did this once and it was a terrible mistake. I also wait several weeks and check the forums to see if the new version is reliable. And I never, never, never remove the old working software. Updates are a risk these days, not only at Adobe.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah geez, I completely missed the Windows 7 part. I saw the bit about updating Windows 10, but I thought you meant updating from one version of Windows 10 to the another.

Support should have flagged that as the first thing to check. As Martin said, Win 7 is longer supported, which means these new apps weren't tested on it. Granted, you didn't say what version you upgraded from, so if you upgraded, in the literal sense, from CC 2018 to 2019 then this isn't the most surprising thing. However, if you updated from the Fall 2018 (CC 2019) release to the current releases from the last couple weeks of then that's a different story.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 21, 2019 Apr 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks David,

I generally wait for a point release and upgrade, depending on if I’m working on something big, it was from the fall release.  So that means I tested it on Windows 7.  I can report not only it doesn’t work, but it does very bad things.  Pr and Id didn’t miss a beat, but the other apps all threw rods, except Lr; it first killed the children then lit the house on fire.

I lived through upgrades to Vista and Windows 8, (grrrrr), I build my own computers and try to never upgrade the OS. I liked Windows 7, Microsoft wanted it gone, me not so much.  This computer is three years old, I asked the guys at the shop I buy components from if it was time to replace it, surprisingly they said no, the new chipsets and graphics cards are not that much faster.

So not wanting to be homeless, I did upgrade to Windows 10, it wasn’t that big a hassle, but it will be a week or so before I know all the implications. Other than the tiny text on the 4K monitor Windows 7 worked just fine, but this is life. This entire episode cost me nearly a week of disruption and lost revenue, and generally soured my disposition.

Fortunately I back up my Lr catalog nearly every day, and keep half a dozen.  The new release corrupted the current catalog badly, it lost two years worth of images, which for me is 18,000.  Yes I still have the images, but that would have been the loss of keywords, thousands of hours of work, some of it irreplaceable.  I’m working on three science projects utilizing images that would have been irreparably harmed had I not been able to restore.

I do have some issues with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Martin. I waited a week and did not hear screaming, but it appears to have been a Windows 7 issue.  I too was badly burnt by the early global-release regime.  I’m an engineer who worked on complex science instruments for many years, I think upgrading all the apps at once is nuts. It’s easiest for Adobe, but can be a disaster for their customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BartonGarrett256,

Sorry for the frustration.

• on Windows 7.
  • I was thinking of just upgrading  to Windows 10

Windows 7 is no longer supported. Update to WIN 10 or roll back to an earlier version of the software. Please let us know if that solves your issue.

Thank You,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the reply Kevin.

It wasn’t frustration, that’s getting stuck in accident traffic on 17 coming back from a day on the beach.  This was, for me,  more like a surprise hurricane, just the software equivalent, but it’s the software I make my living with.  My emotions can’t be described in something children could read.

Here are my suggestions:

Some of your apps can’t be downloaded if the system is not Windows 10.  If you don’t test that should be the default, if not that--a warning, not a caution, should be in the app description: Don’t cross the streams, here be dragons. Be consistent.

Far be it from me to offer advice on how to run your business, but I’m gonna go out on a limb and say it might be a good idea to tell the support folks that the apps were not tested on 7 and won’t work.  When I was a product manager support was pulled into testing and release planning as early as we could, those that touch customers are sacred, it’s critically important to make them the experts. This was not well done in my view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines