Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

expressions - dump / log variable value for debugging and troubleshooting

Enthusiast ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I'm used to webcoding so when an object is producing unexpected results I'll var_dump($object) in PHP or console.info(object) in JS to find out exactly what the object consists of, then I know what to fix.

I'm trying to find the AE equivalent and so far haven't found anything.  When writing complex expressions that link across layers, it can be very cumbersome to fix an error when I can't even see what properties a variable has.  I'm hoping I've missed something and that Adobe haven't overlooked this important aspect to writing code?

Regards, aTomician
TOPICS
Crash , Dynamic link , Error or problem , Expressions , Freeze or hang , Import and export , Performance , Preview , Resources , Scripting , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expressions cannot create any files nor funnel info to a console. All you have is alert(), your wits and creative use of e.g text layers to find out what values are used inside your code.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The debugging options for expressions are very limited. Often the best workaround is to throw an error with an error message showing the data you want to see (or as Mylenium suggested applying the expression to the source text of a text layer and return the data you want to see as a result, such that the text layer shows it as its text).

Mathias Möhl - Developer of tools like BeatEdit and Automation Blocks for Premiere Pro and After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines