• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fixed Position Timer in After Effects

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am creating a countdown timer which has a circle around it. The circle filled as the time goes by.

Everything is going great except that as the timer digits change - the numbers aren't aligned in the center of the circle. 

I don't want to go through every second and adjust manually the position using key frames... I am looking for an expression or other automatic solution for evey second.7 seconds.PNG44 seconds.PNG60 seconds.PNG

TOPICS
Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long and short: Nope. The only way to fix this would be to use a monospaced font and/ or tabular numbers in an OpenType font. It's the nature of type design - each glyph may have a different pre- and post kerning as well as numbers like 6 and 9 may have a baseline offset built in to look "nice" next to other numbers. Only using a font (or subset) specifically designed to have a fixed area can compensate for that. otherwise you indeed have to animate a few things/ use multiple layer segments pieced together with individual alignment options.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply,

I thought I'm losing my mind trying to find a solution for the last 7 hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't sourceRectAtTime() come in handy here?

It should update on each number and the center point of it should be center of the mumber, too. At least for x. 

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you're using centered paragraph alignment here - not left aligned?
Those 3 examples look left aligned to me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Center Justified text will keep the center if the text layer in the same spot but the appearance and position of the digits will only remain constant if you use a monospaced font. Courier Bold is monospaced and fairly close to your font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's free monospaced fonts at FontSquirrel, and lots of others elsewhere no doubt.

https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/list/classification/monospaced

As mentioned above, make sure your text is also centre-justified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Digit Fiddler from Plugin Everything does this exact thing -- lets you make timers and apply a "mono spacing" effect to ensure that the numbers don't wiggle from one character to the other.  Highly recommended!

https://aescripts.com/digit-fiddler/ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines