• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help Appreciated. After Effects Error: missing data in file. (33::4)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I got a problem that I've not encountered before and therefore I need some professional help.

I've recently done a whole film which I completed earlier today, around 1:00 PM and I exported the file to render at Adobe Media Encoder but my program didn't want to connect to Dynamic link.

And my subscription been going through some transaction problems but that's solved now, but since it didn't work I quit the programs and went out for a walk and had some dinner blablabla.

I came back to the computer to finish up the project so I launch Adobe After Effects and encountered an Error which said: "After Effects Error: missing data in file. (33::4)"

Searched on Google to find a solution and I've tried a couple of solutions.

Example 1:

From (https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/after-effects-error-missing-data-in-file-33-4/td-p/9524...) [LINK]

1. try creating a new project and import (not open, but import) the old project to the new. if that works, track down the offending composition/file.

2. try changing the name/location of your footage folder to force Ae to misplace it and see if you can open the project file with unlinked footage material. a bad file could be the cause for it and by linking them selectively you could troubleshoot this.

for next time make sure you increment and save (autosave is not enough)

Nothing happens and this doesn't work.

Example 2:

From (https://forums.creativecow.net/docs/forums/post.php?forumid=2&postid=1126562&univpostid=1126562&pvie...) [LINK]

Posts like yours are heartbreaking to read. I wish you the best of luck trying to recover your work.

This may be too late for you now, but hundreds or thousands of hours of work don't belong in a single copy of a single file. Here's my advice on protecting your After Effects work in the future:

http://www.renderbreak.com/2015/07/walters-field-notes-on-safeguarding-afte...

This is a bit of a longshot, but have you ever rendered from your Ae project with Adobe Media Encoder? If yes, you might still have the temporary file that the process creates.

Search your computer for "tmpAEtoAMEProject" and see if you can find anything.

I saw that the answer above mentions Adobe Media Encoder and when I search for "tmpAEtoAMEProject" and I find old saves on my project but when I load them it doesn't work.

I don't know what to do and I want to render and just post this video, I'm completely done with it. It only needs to be rendered.

If you need any more information please tell me and I'll reply with logs or something, thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Dynamic link , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Participant , Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

I noticed this error too, today on projects that I have been working for a while. They came up right after updating to today's 17.0.1 version of AE. Try rolling back to 17.0, if your situation is similar. Any project that I save with 17.0.1 gives me that missing data error. But those same projects open fine in 17.0 version. 17.0 crashes on every RAM preview for me... but that's another thread/ another story.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Hi all,

Thanks for your patience! 🙂

We have released a new update for After Effects with a fix for the error 33:4 while opening the project. We would recommend you to update to version 17.0.2 and then check if the issue reoccurs. Check out this article to know more: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/fixed-issues.html

We're here to help.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What the sh*t Adobe?

It's nearly been a month and you still have a breaking change in production? Roll back the update! You can't be charging this much for software and break everyone with updates pushed before holiday break. If you can't fix it, be a software as a service company: ROLL IT BACK!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, in my case, AE 17.0.0 fixed the randomly quadrupled render times of 16.1.3, but featured a nonworking preview window, which was fixed in 17.0.1 which runs nicely but is unable to reopen its own files if they include a bit of rotoscoping, happened to me all with the same project. I did not switch to CC until late last year, because I always had the impression there was not enough new stuff to make me drop trusty old CS6, whith which I never had any issues at all. Boy, was I wrong. You do come up with something new all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shivangi,

I have just recieved an email advertisement for Adobe Creative Cloud for 'Business'. If I ask my company to pay the extra to upgrade to the Business version, will the apps work better than the apps available on the Indvidual Creative Cloud? Our company has been using Adobe Creative Suite for 25 years. It is interesting that a 'Business' version is now available. We hope these new versions will work better than the 'individual' apps you have released over the last year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I get your point, however, I'm not the right person to answer this question. 

You can post this question on our Get Started community or you can initiate a chat with our support team.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I get your point, however, I'm not the right person to answer this question. 

You can post this question on our Get Started community or you can initiate a chat with our support team.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i go back to 17.0 and it works !! thxs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going back to 17.0 did fixed it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoa, that's a bad bug.  I had the same error.  Even my latest AutoSave files today loaded with the error.  So glad I found this thread.  Downgraded to 17.00 and project opened fine.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downgrading to 17.0 worked at first. Today a file with lots of roto brush use in it crashed and I'm having the same issue with this version too. I know people joke about how inept Adobe is, but gadzooks do they earn it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have to option to see my "Older versions." Is there somewhere I can manually install 17.0? Please. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Did you follow the steps as mentioned in this article: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Let us know.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shivangi, please tell your team to get this bug fixed immediately. I've been using After Effects everyday since 2007. This problem is unacceptable and never should have made it past beta. I am very grateful for all Adobe does and has done to help me make a living but this needs to be resoloved. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll make sure the feedback gets shared.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @cbialk

I just downgraded to 17.0 and my error is no more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Thanks for your patience! 🙂

We have released a new update for After Effects with a fix for the error 33:4 while opening the project. We would recommend you to update to version 17.0.2 and then check if the issue reoccurs. Check out this article to know more: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/fixed-issues.html

We're here to help.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines