• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help!?

New Here ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I start a New Composition, and import a video file, it only displays the audio not the actual video or images, the preview screen and the composition are displayed as a black screen? Any help? (P.S. the video I tried to import is in MP4 format but when I import it, it shows as a MPEG file)

Screenshot (5).png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MP4 is the container, MPEG can be any of a dozen or more compression formats. Some MPEG files are not compatible with After Effects. If you can load the file in the Adobe Media Encoder and it looks OK you should transcode it to a standard production format.  You do not want to introduce any more compression artifacts in your footage. Pick one of the formats in the Broadcast section that is not MPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short answer:
a) if all video files that you import (from several recording devices/copressions) give you only audio with black preview - issue with AE
b) if onlythat fiveo/videos from that exact recording device gives you black screen - issue with codecs.
if a) I would start from reseting AE to default Setting preferences in After Effects  if b) as Rick said - try transcoding to different (acceptable for AE) format/codec/specs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if it will play in VLC, I’ve found Ae to be pretty fussy about what it will play with.  You can most likely transcode it into something else using Handbrake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2018 May 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BartonGarrett256  wrote

See if it will play in VLC, I’ve found Ae to be pretty fussy about what it will play with.  You can most likely transcode it into something else using Handbrake.

I would not use Handbrake. Handbrake is an MPEG encoder and the last thing you want to do is use MPEG files as digital intermediates. The AME will give you lossless options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi capwing,

Check if this helps:

Go to File > Project Settings > Video Rendering and Effects > Use Mercury Software Only.

Let us know.

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines