• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I do this effect in After Effects (please help)

New Here ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the start of this video (below) from 0:00 until around 0:33 seconds there's this blue wall that moves through this large landscape. How would you go about pulling off this effect in After Effects exactly?

Forcefield - PUBG Logic - VLDL (running away from the Forcefield in PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds) -...

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

I'll show you the basics. This kind of thing requires skillful rotoscoping, patience and a bunch of layers. There is no plug-in you can just click to pull it off.

boo.png

• The original footage is in the bottom layer
  • You duplicate that footage so you can roto the running man
  • You add a white layer for the light edge and set the blend mode to add
  • You add another solid layer and apply fractal noise and work out the settings to get the sparkly pattern
  • You add a solid layer, set the blend mode to Screen so you can

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll show you the basics. This kind of thing requires skillful rotoscoping, patience and a bunch of layers. There is no plug-in you can just click to pull it off.

boo.png

• The original footage is in the bottom layer
  • You duplicate that footage so you can roto the running man
  • You add a white layer for the light edge and set the blend mode to add
  • You add another solid layer and apply fractal noise and work out the settings to get the sparkly pattern
  • You add a solid layer, set the blend mode to Screen so you can see through the layer and animate a mask for the moving horizon
  • You duplicate the solid layer with the animated mask so you can use one copy as a track matte for the white glow and one for the blue fractal noise layer
  • You add a second solid layer to use as a track matte for the running man - I don't think rotobrush is going to work for this shot because of motion blur and similar colors
  • Set up your track mattes as you get them completed
  • Add your map inset, text layer, and text background
  • Arrange the layers as shown
  • Adjust the opacity, color, and experiment with blend modes until you get the look you want.

There is a lot of handwork in this composite. If it were handed to me I would ask for two days and the producer might give me one. If it were for a feature film and the camera was moving it on the big screen it might take several people several days. A person experienced in roto and compositing could probably pull off a composite that worked pretty well in four or five hours but the edges would be soft things like the masks for the cows and the bushes would either not be done or they would be pretty sloppy, and it would not hold up very well on the big screen.

I hope this helps. Roto is a slow process. The more accurate you make the mask the longer it will take.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you be more specific?

or any tutorials?

please am making a PUBG Video so?

it would be a great help,

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you be more specific?

or any tutorials?

please am making a PUBG Video so?

it would be a great help,

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2023 Oct 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• You add a solid layer, set the blend mode to Screen so you can see through the layer and animate a mask for the moving horizon
  • You duplicate the solid layer with the animated mask so you can use one copy as a track matte for the white glow and one for the blue fractal noise layer
  • You add a second solid layer to use as a track matte for the running man - I don't think rotobrush is going to work for this shot because of motion blur and similar colors
  • Set up your track mattes as you get them completed check

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
  • You add a second solid layer to use as a track matte for the running man - I don't think rotobrush is going to work for this shot because of motion blur and similar colors visit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines