• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how do I insert something at any place in the timeline?

Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im trying to add an image to begin at a certain place in the timeline but I'm having a hard time doing so since everything just sort of always begins at the start of the timeline regardless of sequencing. I'm trying to have the image appear at a certain time mark in the timeline and then begin the animation there. Is there anyway to do this?
TOPICS
Experiment , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE is not a video editing app, so the default setting makes sense for most comps. With one or more layers selected, pressing the left square bracket key ([) will snap a layer's in-point to the current time. Using the right bracket key will move the layers outpoint to the current time.

The default preference is to have new layers start at the comp start time. You can change your preference by pressing Alt/Option + Ctrl/Cmnd + ; and turning off Create New Layers at First Frame. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I really appreciate that! I know its a pretty basic thing, I just have a hard time maintaining focus on a 60 minute video on all the intricacies of the program. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's a really bad idea to try and cut a 60-minute video using After Effects. AE is not a video editing app. It is an app designed specifically to create motion graphics, composites, and animations that you cannot create in an NLE like Premiere Pro. Most comps are a single shot. Most shots in a movie are less than seven seconds long. Most AE comps created by professionals are, therefore, under seven seconds. Use After Effects to make effects shots and use Premiere Pro to edit them into your 60-minute movie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines