• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make a stroke around another stroke?

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2024 May 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i made i mouth using pen tool which is basically a stroke only. I want to create a line around it so how do i do another stroke over this one? I tried dublicating this shape and using the copy as a line around but it doesn't really match the borders, maybe there is some way to make a figure a bit bigger than the previous one and put it right around it?

Victoria3692916851z5_2-1715505126192.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 13, 2024 May 13, 2024

Maybe I’m missing something about the requirements since this hasn’t been suggested yet, but isn’t the easiest way to click the Contents / Add button to simply add another Stroke to the Shape Layer? It wouldn’t even require adding a Layer Style because adding more strokes is already built into shape layer Contents.

In the picture below, Stroke 2 is the 19pt red path, and Stroke 1 is the 55pt white path behind Stroke 2, both applied to the same path within one shape layer.

After-Effects-multiple-strokes.jpg

A major problem

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Victoria3692916851z5 

I've moved your post from Using the Community (for forum questions) to After Effects.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly this is much easier in Premiere if you have access to Premiere. Premiere graphics can be sent into AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there a way to do it in after effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2024 May 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How would you do it in Premiere Pro?

I'm not sure I would agree that making graphics is easier in premiere pro, a video editing program than in After Effects a graphics and animation program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2024 May 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duplicate the layer/ shape group, increase the stroke width, put it underneath. Scale is useless here.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omg i have no idea why i did not think of that thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know @Mylenium has solved this for you, but there's another option - especially useful if you have a closed shape rather than a line and that's to apply a Layer Style.  You can have multiple strokes and set whether they are to appear inside, or outside and can have different widths, colours etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I’m missing something about the requirements since this hasn’t been suggested yet, but isn’t the easiest way to click the Contents / Add button to simply add another Stroke to the Shape Layer? It wouldn’t even require adding a Layer Style because adding more strokes is already built into shape layer Contents.

In the picture below, Stroke 2 is the 19pt red path, and Stroke 1 is the 55pt white path behind Stroke 2, both applied to the same path within one shape layer.

After-Effects-multiple-strokes.jpg

A major problem with duplicating the layer is that if you want to edit the path, now you have to make sure the duplicate is edited to match. Or duplicate it again and then have to replicate the differences in formatting, plus copy any keyframes. It seems better to do it all within the same shape layer, either by adding a Stroke or with Layer Styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2024 May 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not know you could do that! It was exactly what i was looking for thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines