• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can not darken a simple png file in a comp in After Effects.

Advocate ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4 days and counting.  Seriously.

This problem is so weird, for you it might be simple, PLEASE  HELP!

I cut out and darkened a chair in photoshop, made the png, and imported into AE comp timeline.

The chair looks like this in the timeline:  nice and dark, the way I want it. (very dark scene)

black chair D.png

I export the comp out of After Effects, using ProRes , then import that into PPro.  Looks great also in PPro, a dark scene with a dark chair. No problem.

Burn it to disc, play it on the HDTV, and the scene looks great, EXCEPT:

The chair in the scene now looks like this:

black chair.png

I have tried multipe tests for days:

1) lower opacity

2) darken

3) change the AE project bit (currently 16bit) , tried 32.  photo is 32 bit, I even changed it to 8 bit, same results.

4) lowered the black levels

5) lowered the exposure

6) deleted, reinstall. wash, rinse, repeat....

7) ran it with and without color management!

It's always bright!  is it possessed? 

Doesn't even darken a bit, it's always the same.  It's laughing at me!!

Monitor is calibrated at rec709 gamma 2.4  

Standard Video 8bit (old school)  latest AE, PPro, AME  GTX1050ti gpu   32gb Ryzen 7. Solid computer set up, working fine.

I doubt it's a gamma issue because the scene looks fine on tv, just this png is bright.

Here is the kicker:

When I export an mpg2 from ppro and watch it on the monitor, it looks fine....chair is dark.

But for some Twilight Zone reason, only on the tv, the chair is bright and the rest of the scene is dark.

I am at my wit's end.

Please send me your advice,

Thanks very much!!

Letty

TOPICS
Error or problem , FAQ , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Problem was:  Images exported from Photoshop did not have the right work space embedded.  (credit: R Neil Haugen)

I set work space to sRGB in PShop, exported, then re imported into AE.  Set AE workspace to sRGB.

Then I was able to alter image brightness, color etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello?? anybody here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello?    Anybody?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please include your color management settings so we can take a look. Also, please include the Adobe Media Encoder settings you used too. It's hard to know without knowing what your settings are. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like a calibration issue or your TV is set up very differently than your monitor. Your TV could be doing some kind of black point compensation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, have you run a monitor calibration app to make sure the black levels are right on your monitor? On Mac you can use the built in calibration app in the Display system prefs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, super thanks for replying.

I set things up as simple as possible.  I'm not using any color management, my monitor is calibrated using SpyderX Elite...  rec.709 gamma 2.4  What I see in the timeline is what I get on the disc.  When I make other discs within the same project, the image on the tv screen is a little brighter, but nothing serious.  It's odd that the videos I made with this chair, the chair is the only object in the scene that is really bright.

I think you are right about the tv not being calibrated properly and it doesn't match the monitor.  But.... still doesn't explain why just the chair is so bright. Odd.

Here is my AE project setting:  

3.png

BTW, I get same results when I use color management and assign the icc profile to AE, PPRo and AME.  Same difference.

Below is the PPro media encoder:    btw, I've tried most of the other outputs, all get same results.

The clips are Standard video, 25 bps , 8 bit.  (old school video)

Using these settings, to burn on bluray, the video looks great.  When I do MPG2 and watch the disc on my computer, the chair looks perfect.....  but popping that disc into my bluray player and seeing it on tv, that's when the chair changes.

1.png2.png

I tried using 'levels' to change the tint, didn't work.

I tried lowering the exposure, same thing.

I think it's a gamma issue in the image, but nothing I do changes this image.

It's killing me.  So many tests.  Nothing I do can lower the level of this image. 

I think the only missing factor here is adjusting the tv itself.  The image looks great, but I think you might have something when you mentioned black levels.

I think I'll buy one of those in home tv calbration discs I've seen online and do a calibration to see if it's the tv.  I'm only hesitant because if the tv wasn't set up right, then why do all the other scenes look fine, and only this 'chair' image is messed up?

Very frustrating.   Nothing makes sense.

Also, the chair says it's 32bit.  I even lowered the bitrate to 8, and darkened it in photoshop, then imported it into AE.  It looks nice and dark, then I export using prores, the prores into PPro, then to disc, then to tv, and BAM!  The chair is bright!!! 

ahhhH!!!!!   Losing my mind. 

Thanks for your reply and thoughts on this.

Letty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried it using "Monitor Color" in the Color Managment settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, what happens if you just turn off color management all together?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assume you've run the update;

After Effects 17.0.5 includes a fix for color management with ProRes HDR footage.

More information on fixed issues here: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/fixed-issues.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

updates?  

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem was:  Images exported from Photoshop did not have the right work space embedded.  (credit: R Neil Haugen)

I set work space to sRGB in PShop, exported, then re imported into AE.  Set AE workspace to sRGB.

Then I was able to alter image brightness, color etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for letting us know. It didn't ocur to me that the images had been altered in Photoshop before AE. Good to know for future issues. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines