• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I want to be able to quickly find one shape among many shapes.

Explorer ,
May 06, 2024 May 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using after effect ver24.3.
When I have many shapes or rectangles in one shape layer, I often want to click on each one to see which shape belongs to which item.
If multiple shapes are in the same layer and I try to select one shape from among multiple shapes in the composition window, I will not be able to select them separately.

In order to find a certain shape among multiple shapes, it is difficult to click on each shape item one by one, so I would like to be able to find it more easily.

For example, is there a shortcut key for selecting the next item for items in the same hierarchy in the same layer?

I would like to know if there is a better solution.

TOPICS
FAQ , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2024 May 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best advice I can give you is to name your shapes when they are created. Name the layers if you are creating shape layers from vector files (Illustrator). Then, you can type the name in the Timeline Search.

If you have not named the shape layers (or any other property you can rename), start typing the property's name. Typing "rec" will bring up all rectangles on that layer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2024 May 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

CMD + Click (MAC) or CTRL + Click (WIN) with the Selection tool on a specific shape on a shape layer should allow you to select just the shape you clicked on. Though this does become difficult/impossible depending on how elements are overlapping.

You can also use the Properties panel to see each individual shape on a shape layer and select/edit them from there.

I am of course assuming you are dealing with a native AE shape layer and shape and not an imported vector layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines