Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Graphic is jittering and flickering

New Here ,
Jun 25, 2024 Jun 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone

I need to do some zoom in into a very complex and highly detailed AI illustration. Unfortunately I can't share it because it's for a client project but it's basically a isometric view of a city with hundreds of buildings, trees, cars, streets and characters. All objects have a thin black stroke around them.

I imported the AI file and tried to zoom in but on a lot of objects, the contours are flickering like crazy. Continous Rasterization is on and I set the antialiasing option in "Interpret Footage -> More" to "More Accurate". But it didn't help. I also tried to apply 2 px of Gaussian Blur but that didn't help either.

For testing, I imported the illustration into an 8K photoshop file and tried the same zoom with the PSD file. That worked very well but I would like to keep the flexibility of using a vector graphic.

Is there anything else I could try?  My Comp Settings are 1920 x1080 / 25fps

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a judder in the motion because you're zooming too quickly or is the art itself actually flickering? A screen recording would be helpful. If it's the art then disabling Continuously Rasterize can actually fix this, but if you need to zoom in a lot and the speed of your zoom is causing a judder, you can either slow down your zoom or increase your comp frame rate to 50 or 60 fps. If it's the art, then you can try dramatically increasing the resolution of your Illustrator document so you can disable Continuously Rasterize on the layers in AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2024 Jun 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't think that the jitter comes from the speed of the zoom. I tried it with 25fps and 50 fps. In both cases, illustration was flickering. I guess the problem are the very fine stroke lines around each object in the illustration. 
I know that a screen recording would help but unfortunately, I don't have the permission to show the artwork to the public.

What you write in your last sentence is basically what I did to solve the issue. I upscaled the illustration to 8K and exported it as PSD File. Like this, it's working fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2024 Jul 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I missed this reply. In the future, to save yourself a step, you shouldn't have to export the AI files to PSD. You could have done the same by increasing the dimensions of the artboards and scaling the art up. As long as you don't have the Continuously Rasterized switch enabled for your layers, AE will treat the layers as raster, not vector.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2024 Jul 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have lines that are one or two pixels wide, and they move, you must adjust the speed of the movement to an even number of pixels per frame and keep the lines perfectly aligned to the pixel grid to avoid flicker. You can do that with an expression instead of keyframes.

Video, especially compressed video does not like thin high contrast details. Compressed video makes this problem worse because color is compressed in blocks of 4 pixels.

If you cannot align the artwork to the pixel grid, the only way to hide the flicker is to crank up the motion blur to the point where the lines are about 50% gray when they move. You can do that using Pixel Motion Blur, CC Force Motion Blur, or by increasing the shutter angle of the comp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2024 Jul 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for my late respond and thanks for this very good explanation, Rick. I will see, which method works best in my case. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines