• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Jerky stuttering playback even if cached from SSD. I know AE is not a NLE. I really need help.

Participant ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Folks,

I've got a very serious issue and really need your help. I've got a very basic setup that is reading some .AI files with normal resolutions and my playback is stuttering, even when the whole work area is cached to my m.2 SSD which can read/write 1200mb/s. Please have a look at the attached video.

Dropbox - Adobe After Effects CC 2018 - laggy.mp4

Here are my specs:

win10 pro build 1803/1709

64gig ram

Intel 6900k

Asus X99 Deluxe II

Asus GTX 1080

I've got the latest drivers and bios for all my hardware installed. Also I did reinstall a completely fresh windows 10. I even tried the brand new build 1803 and the 1709 build. Same result on both.

I'm using one 4k monitor at 150% scale and one 2,5k monitor at 125% scale.

My playback will only run at realtime when i make the comp window very small so I can not see anything.

Edit: I noticed one thing. When I unplug my second monitor and put the scale of my main monitor(4K) to 100%, then it's playing back just fine in any window size. It does not playback in realtime when there is any scale other than 100%. But On a 4K monitor at 100% I can not see or read anything because its so small.

Is there ANYTHING I can do? Please, I can't work like this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any Adobe staff here? It's a really urgent problem, I'm in the middle of a project

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Half resolution
  • If it's just playback? so mark drop 1 frame in setting
  • Disable motion blur
  • Render it in parts disable internet, firewall
  • In windows seting ? set it  on classic view mode without aaero windows theme
  • What about RAM for oter apps and what app opened in same time?  PS or AI ///they can take many resources that you need in 

Premiere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately nothing helps

Even in quarter resolution no realtime

drop 1 frame is not smooth and even that gives me no realtime

motion blur is off

render in parts makes no sense

tried with diasabled firewall/AV, no luck

no other apps open, only AE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dumb question:  Is your cache full?

Also do you have this problem with other projects or just this one?

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you have not watched my video, have you? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did watch your video.   I guess you think it shows more than it actually did.  No skin of my back.  Good luck.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh I'm so sorry, it hasnt captured me clearing cache before hitting play, but I did

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And is the problem only on this project or is it on all projects.

Since you uninstalled and reinstalled windows should I assume the problem is on all of your projects?

What drive do you have windows installed on?

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right, it affects all projects, regardless if its just graphics or live action footage.

Windows is installed on my C: drive which is a samsung 940 SSD

then I have a cache M.2 drive

and also another HDD, I also tried moving the cache on another drive. Still no luck.

Also I ran memtest86 to check whether my RAM is broken, which it isnt.

I'm pretty sure it's the win10 scaling

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cuda | Mercury is active? Which kinds of files ♦  MFX, MP4, MOV, DNxHD, AVI  ♦ you edit? How fps?
If your sequence settings, fps, frame size, Interpretation, codec the same to file

settings, fps, frame size, Interpretation, codec the same to file set? because its very important!

Trying to install other drivers ?

? because its very important!
Trying to install other drivers ?
I hope you on Nvidia ? My apologies  for ATI friends. ))))
391.05 my nvidia choice? i have the same troubles with driver, solved my problem.  But it was 2 years ago also with SSD disks, 4K, Color Cor, Dynamic link, copy paste from PR to AE and back
it was very Hard to edit this clip'  check if your resolutions in PR in Monitor no on The Best of the best quality,

Which driver you use  standard ? latest ? Not always god lates version....or you dont know. You must to play with different versions of drivers' and see in your hardware settings if all your drivers are installed.
I dont  want to install W10. I preffer win7
Don't install any k lite codecs pack and etc. All you codecs need installed together with your video software
Maybe you have a problem with some clusters on you SSD?
Do you know that defragment SSD? NOT recomended!

Maybe you have instaled sofware like acronis? back up system all time this work and using hardisk!!
Can you send us screenshot of Task manager  |  CTRL  ALT DEL |

Resource Monitor or Resmon // type resmon  ♦ Win 7 worked  in Start • windows key • and hit Enter . Monitor your CPU, memory usage, Disk Activity, Network
Be more active and perfect:

• perfmon /rel : Runs Reliability Monitor                                ♦ Win 7 not worked
        • permon /sys : Runs a Standalone Performance Monitor     ♦ Win 7 not worked

1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the standart drivers and tried different driver versions, no difference.

My SSD is not defragmented and it was formatted two days ago.

The rest like codec, filesize, fps and so on have nothing to do with the playback, however everything is set up correctly.

Thanks anyways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is the SSD connected? Max data rate is limited by the connection and nowhere near the read-write speed of an SSD unless it is plugged directly into the SATA bus. Blackmagic Design has a free drive speed test app on their site. One of my supposed Thunderbolt 3 cables only gives me almost 5 Mbps but another from a different Amazon vendor gives me a solid 40 Gbps, which is the maximum data rate for that type of connection. Both cables cost the same. I sent the first one back...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an s.2 SSD so directly sticking in the mainboard. and it is actually very fast. even if it was a slow HDD, when things are loaded into RAM, it should play realtime, which it doesnt.

This has to be somehow related to the windows scaling, as everything works fine with scaling set to 100%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean M.2 SSD, not s.2, sorry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is the SSD connected? Max data rate is limited by the connection and nowhere near the read-write speed of an SSD unless it is plugged directly into the SATA bus. Blackmagic Design has a free drive speed test app on their site. One of my supposed Thunderbolt 3 cables only gives me almost 5 Mbps but another from a different Amazon vendor gives me a solid 40 Gbps, which is the maximum data rate for that type of connection. Both cables cost the same. I sent the first one back...

He's having a problem with a cached RAM preview... it doesn't have anything to do with his SSD. The bar is filled green, which means the frames are cached to RAM, not disk (blue).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I was thinkin. I tried on another computer today with another project, even when its all green, it need a second run until its playing realtime. But then it does. I wish mine would also do that 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Half resolution
  • If it's just playback? so mark drop 1 frame in setting
  • Disable motion blur
  • Render it in parts disable internet, firewall
  • In windows seting ? set it  on classic view mode without aaero windows theme
  • What about RAM for oter apps and what app opened in same time?  PS or AI ///they can take many resources that you need in 

Premiere

Most of your points have absolutely nothing to do with playing back a cached RAM preview. Half resolution only affects how fast you are rendering the frames. Drop frame (it's actually called Skip), same thing. Motion blur, same thing again.

"Render it in parts" What? "Disable internet, firewall".... really? And then, "other apps open at the same time"... the guy has got 64 Gigs of RAM! And the video shows he's caching to RAM just fine! It's just not playing back in real time as it should.

Seriously, I know people try to be helpful but some of the answers just don't make any sense in relation to the issue he posted and just show that the person answering doesn't know what they are talking about.

From your description it really seems like some kind of bug related to the scaling/multi monitor setup. Hope you get it sorted out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FINALLY one person who does understand what the problem is. It has to be a bug, I tried EVERYTHING.

Thanks mate!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe an 8k monitor would work better

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any other way to submit a bug report or contact the AE devs other than filling out this strange form where you can vote?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, yes you can file a bug report here

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

You can also install an earlier version of AE if it works better

Install previous version of your Creative Cloud app

I know there has some been some issues with custom scaling with past versions so you may want to look into that

Or I wonder if you've tried consistent scaling, I mean having both monitors scaled to the same percentage rather than having one scaled

to 125% and one scaled to 150%.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That bug report i have already filed, previeous version doesnt work better, not even CC 2015.

consistant scaling doesnt work either, as soon as one monitor is set to anything other than 100%, it doesnt work anymore.

Also I have one 32" monitor and one 27" monitor, they cannot be scaled consistantly. that would mean on the 32 everything is unreadably tiny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well you could contact adobe support by phone Contact Customer Care​​

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines