• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keylight 1.2 extremely slow

Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2019 Jul 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I've been having consistent problems with Keylight's speed (Ram preview and Render times)

It seems to be exceptionally slower than all other tools After Effects has to offer. Both on 1080P and 4K footage.

Specs:

AE CC 2019 fully updated

Win 10 Pro, fully updated

128GB Ram, i9-7940X 3.10GHz, GTX 1060 6GB

AE is on the OS SSD

Media and project files are on a separate nvme SSD

and cache is on a third SSD

All drivers are up to date

I wonder what makes Keylight's process so slow, anyone have an idea?

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keylight is a relatively old plugin, and hasn't been updated a while (last update in 2016). It is not optimized for modern codecs, GPU's etc. You can try to use the Ultra Keyer in Premiere Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may not like this answer, but it will probably work:  transcode the problem footage to a media container & codec that will put less of a strain on After Effects.  I still like quicktime movies in ProRes 422, Photo JPEG or Animation codecs for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2019 Jul 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to keep the footage in 444 subsampling, so I'll try Prores 444 and DNXHR 444 and see if there is any difference.

Perhaps Red Giant's new Primmate Keyer 6 will be a better tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have both Primatte and Keylight. There are some shots where Primatte works better, others where Keylight wins. It all depends on the shot, but if a shot is well lit and properly exposed I don't have any trouble with either. In my experience, 90% of keying problems are caused by shots that were not properly planned or executed. I have not noticed any significant slowdown using either system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shooting correctly of course makes things simple, but that is not always the case. Have you tried the new Primmate Keyer 6? Red Giant claim it to be much faster than previous versions, as it takes advantage of the GPU.

Yet, you say you're not experiencing any significant slowdown on Keylight, which is what I'm trying to understand. I feel like there is something specifically off with my setup that's causing it to be slow on my machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a GPU accelerated alternative to Keylight will allways be faster, as Keyllight isn't GPU accelerated. I've moved many simple/straight forward key jobs to Premiere Pro and use the Ultra Keyer for this reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

efrats66587528  wrote

Yet, you say you're not experiencing any significant slowdown on Keylight, which is what I'm trying to understand. I feel like there is something specifically off with my setup that's causing it to be slow on my machine.

I'm on a Mac and Keylight is working as it always has. It's not particularly slow. If memory allocation, background apps, virus scanners and the codec of the original footage are not slowing things down it may be a Windows 10 / CC 2019 problem. It's hard to say without knowing all of the details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines