• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer's not appearing when Importing Photoshop File Into After Effects

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! I have a character I rigged for animation I made in Photoshop, he has several layers to him. I go to import him into After Effects, via composition and it's coming up only as a flat composition! I have checked and it is RGB not CYMK and have been googling for hours and can't figure it out, please help, attached below are some photos to show what I'm talking about

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 9.33.32 PM.pngthe characters photoshop layers

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 9.33.52 PM.pngwhat I see when I import into After Effects

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discussion successfully moved from Adobe Creative Cloud to After Effects

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is comming as a composition because that is how AE do things. In PS you have folders - in AE you have compositions. So all of your layers and other folders (comps) are inside of your main comp +Tyler. So justy double LMB on that composition and it should open it and there you will find (acording your screenshot form PS): compositios: Mouth, Left Eye etc. and inside of them rest of the layers or PS folders (in AE as comps).
So AE should and will (if everything was made and prepared in PS as it should) show your PS file in exactly the same structure as in PS but for PS folders you wil have AE compositions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The comp created in AE will have the first level PSD layers in the main comp that is created. You have put sublayers in your PSD file, head, then under that mouth, and so on. Each of those sublayers will be a new comp nested in the main comp. If you look at the flow chart you'll see the exact same structure. If you look at the folders created in the Project Panel you'll see everything.

You need to spend some time with the user guide and study up on preparing images for video. There is nothing wrong with AE. The only error I can see is that you have not prepared the PSD so that it will be easy to use in AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that this was mentioned yet:  Double-click on "+Tyler" and on "Feet" in AE to open the nested Comps.  Keep double-clicking to keep opening the nested Comps.  You'll eventually get to your layers. 

If you use the Tab key, AE will display the Mini-Flowchart view to allow you to quickly move between your downstream and upstream Comps.

If you're not quite ready for nested Comps, save a duplicate PS document and promote every layer to the root level of the document (such that you only have Layers and no Layer Sets / Layer Groups.  (Yes, this is going to make for a lot of layers that you'll need to scroll up and down through.)  Add a prefix to the the layer names to keep track of which body part the layer belongs to.  Save and import that into AE as a Comp.  You'll avoid nesting, but again the trade off is a lot of layers in one Comp.  From there, you'll be able to set up Parent/Child relationships.  You might want to create a Null as the parent for each group of layers that used to be in a Layer Set on the PS side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 26, 2019 Apr 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi tylerc,

There are some good suggestions above. Have you tried them yet?

Let us know.

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is most likely that your photoshop file was saved in CMYK mode instead of RGB. If you save in RGB you should have no problem importing the separate layers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Worked For Me!!

Thanks!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blam! Thank you!  First thing to check.  I always forget this and the problem 99% of the time. It's kooky because, in order to export a layered Photoshop file from Illustrator, you have to make it a CMYK file.  RGB merges the layers.  For SOME reason...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! that was also solution for my problem ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Legendary. 
Thanks!

Solved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you this worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines