• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking multiple keyframes in a precomp to a single keyframe in a higher-level comp

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I'm wondering if there is a way to link several keyframes in a precomp to a single keyframe in a parent comp that essentially starts this precomp's animation at a specific time in the higher-level comp. 

In the precomp:

For example, let's say I have position and size keyframes in a precomp at X seconds (in the precomp).

In the higher-level comp:

I drag my precomp into this higher-level comp. Let's say I want to start the precomp's animation at Y seconds in the higher-level comp.

Please help! Happy to provide more information if that would be helpful.

Thanks,

Matt

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way to change the timing in a nested comp is to slide it around in the timeline.

Another way to change the timing of everything in a nested comp (pre-comp is what you do, nested comp is what you get) is to add Time Remapping, then grab both the keyframes and slide them around.

To move individual properties around in the timeline, you will need to tie the values to something in the Main comp with expressions. You can use valueAtTime() to offset some properties or Expression controls like Sliders, Point Controls, and Rotation Controls to keep your keyframes in the main comp. The most efficient workflow depends entirely on the project. Expressions only look at the current frame unless you set up a recursive expression that looks back down the timeline. The problem with recursive expressions is that they slow down renders. Here again, each approach is different. 

A detailed workflow description and screenshots showing the modified properties of the layers you want to work on would help us help you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agree with Rick. You have to explain what you actually want to do rather than throw around vague descriptions. Based on your post one could assume all manner of things from just shifting the layers in time to hyper convoluted setups with time-remapping or valueAtTime(). Show us some screenshots and tell us what needs to happen.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines