Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Live Photoshop 3d in after effects CS6

Nov 11, 2012 Nov 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how can i active this effect?

ive seen some videos in cs4 with live photoshop 3d and its beautiful

peapole that draw camion, cube, car etc than import in AE and active this effect to work with a full 3d layer in AE U_U how can i do this?

please help me

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Nov 11, 2012 Nov 11, 2012

The feature to import 3D object layers from Photoshop as live 3D objects is not in After Effects CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2014 Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

I'm confused. Why do you feel strong-armed? Are you saying that you expect us to go back to a previous version and add new features to it, as opposed to adding new features to the current and future versions?

I would expect the Creative Suite to be able to do things in one version that it could already do in previous versions, like importing 3D models via PhotoShop to AE, instead of going backward in terms of functional capability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I explained the reason. There is no strong-arming. What, exactly, would you have had us do under the circumstances, given that the changes to Photoshop 3D happened too late for us to accommodate them?

Also, have you actually used this feature in a previous version? It was lousy. It was slow, the functionality was very limited, and it crashed a lot.

Now, with integration with a real 3D application, current users are much better off. I do not hear anyone who has used both features saying that they wished that we had stuck with Photoshop 3D and not Cinema 4D integration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

What, exactly, would you have had us do under the circumstances, given that the changes to Photoshop 3D happened too late for us to accommodate them?

I would have expected different product teams under the CS umbrella to be more coordinated, to be honest. I am surprised you seem so disparate, given how hands-on and approachable you are with your customer base (us).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an analogy: Baskin-Robbins withdraws Sauerkraut ice cream from its list of 31 flavors, acknowledging it was a bad idea from the beginning.

Likewise, Adobe withdraws 3D from Photoshop, acknowledging it was a bad idea from the beginning.

See the paralell?  A BAD IDEA.  Why would you want to perpetuate a bad idea? 

Maybe you have a thing for Sauerkraut ice cream.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave LaRonde wrote:

Likewise, Adobe withdraws 3D from Photoshop, acknowledging it was a bad idea from the beginning.

See the paralell?  A BAD IDEA.  Why would you want to perpetuate a bad idea?

Your analogy is broken. PhotoShop 3D wasn't an idea, it was a tool. A bad tool. But importing 3D models to AE was "the idea," and not a bad one at all. An essential one, if you ask me.

So you can acknowledge that 3D in PhotoShop was a faulty tool, but you shouldn't take away that tool without replacing it with a better one so we can still fulfill the idea of importing 3D models to AE.

The fact that my only options now seem to be ones for which I have to pay leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The replacement is C4D... a much better tool, even the LTE version that comes with AE now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick Gerard wrote:

The replacement is C4D... a much better tool, even the LTE version that comes with AE now.

I'm sure it is. You realize, I assume, that you're talking about a ~$3,500 product from what I can tell?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3D in Photoshop is not necessarily a bad idea. The Photoshop team continues to develop 3D features. But it's important to remember that Photoshop has many different uses, and the 3D capabilities they added are not necessarily targeted at After Effects users and the work that they do.

The integration of Photoshop 3D into After Effects is very difficult technically; Todd has already outlined the challenges and limitations. This is not a case of the After Effects team and Photoshop team not working together, it's a matter of whether the two teams are working towards the same goals or not. Just as the Photoshop team listened to their users about what 3D functionality would benefit them, we on the After Effects team have been listening to what 3D functionality our users want. The message we have received is their desire for integration with the 3D tools they already use, one of the most popular of which is Cinema 4D.

If more After Effects users tell us that they want to use Photoshop's 3D models in After Effects, we will listen to that. Please do file a feature request if that's something you want.

(Similarly, I would ask if you see opportunities from the Photoshop side to improve your workflow with After Effects, that you file a feature request for the Photoshop team.)

I also want to point out that every feature in any application incurs a maintenance cost. Is it worth our time to continue to test and fix bugs for a feature, or can we spend that effort elsewhere? As we improve After Effects, we continually evaluate whether or not existing features are being used and are valuable to our users. Photoshop 3D is not the first time we have removed functionality because there was little support for it from our users. These are difficult decisions because the usage rate is rarely zero, but the net effect of removing old, crusty technology in favor of better developed workflows is worth the cost, in our opinion.

Ultimately, you need to chose a set of tools that works for you. We understand that. There are other ways of getting 3D renders into After Effects CS6; if you need help defining a workflow I'm confident the community on this forum can give you some tips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim Kurkoski wrote:

If more After Effects users tell us that they want to use Photoshop's 3D models in After Effects, we will listen to that. Please do file a feature request if that's something you want.

Again, I do not care about the tool itself (which is what PS is in this case). I simply want a way to take a 3D model (such as a .3ds file) and import it to AE.

All the tutorials I've found on this topic use the Live PhotoShop 3D feature in pre-CS6 versions of AE. Otherwise they use C4D in AE CC.

Surely you realize the simple issue this creates: neither solution works for CS6 users. Hence, why I feel like such users are left in the cold when it comes to importing 3D.

Am I crazy? What am I missing about this simple issue? Pre-CS6 users didn't have to pay extra to import 3D; CC users don't have to pay extra to import 3D; why should I?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rhannebaum wrote:

Surely you realize the simple issue this creates: neither solution works for CS6 users. Hence, why I feel like such users are left in the cold when it comes to importing 3D.

Am I crazy? What am I missing about this simple issue? Pre-CS6 users didn't have to pay extra to import 3D; CC users don't have to pay extra to import 3D; why should I?

After Effects (any version) doesn't have the capability to directly import and use 3D model files, if that's what you desire. Plug-ins for After Effects CS6 like Video Copilot's Element 3D, AtomKraft, and Zaxwerks ProAnimator and 3D Invigorator allow you to work with 3D files. Cinema 4D and 3DS Max have integrated workflows with After Effects CS6 that exchange their 3D data with After Effects.

Outside of this, a common workflow is to render your 3D model to a sequence file, and then to import that into After Effects. This works regardless of which 3D modeling application or which version of After Effects you are using. Here's some information and links to resources:

http://helpx.adobe.com/en/after-effects/using/preparing-importing-3d-image-files.html#importing_and_...

There's lots of information available about workflows between 3D modeling applications and After Effects that don't involve Photoshop. If you're having trouble finding what you need, I recommend creating a new thread with specific information about what applications you're using and what you're trying to accomplish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim Kurkoski wrote:

After Effects (any version) doesn't have the capability to directly import and use 3D model files

I didn't say anything about needing to directly import. This statement of mine is key to understanding where I'm coming from:

rhannebaum wrote:

Pre-CS6 users didn't have to pay extra to import 3D; CC users don't have to pay extra to import 3D; why should I?

Let's say I have a .3ds file. Pre-CS6, I could use the PhotoShop workaround to get that 3D model in AE, where I could manipulate it in true 3D space. In AE CC, this can be done with C4D I surmise.

In CS6, what I'm hearing is the only way to accomplish this is via some paid 3rd party solution. Is that not the case? An image sequence would not get me desired results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we're on the same page. Here's what I'm hearing: you're upset that you're using a version of After Effects that does not provide native functionality to import a live 3D model through Photoshop or another intermediary, which existed in a prior version, and that to achieve such functionality you will need to upgrade After Effects or buy a plug-in.

Since the funcitonality you want doesn't exist, my goal has been to tell you about alternative workflows that you can use in After Effects CS6. Have I been successful in that specific regard? Please mind that I can't judge which workflow is right for you; none of my suggestions may be. This is why I've suggested you should start a new thread that's specific to what you're trying to accomplish.

What is your goal? How can this community help you from here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2014 Mar 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Tim, I don't have a specific goal I'm trying to achieve. I was playing around with 3D modeling to prepare for future projects, which of course now may not happen if I can't import and truly manipulate 3D objects in 3D space in AE.

Like I said: I'm just disappointed in this unexpected roadblock for my ideas for future projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rhannebaum wrote:

Sorry Tim, I don't have a specific goal I'm trying to achieve. I was playing around with 3D modeling to prepare for future projects, which of course now may not happen if I can't import and truly manipulate 3D objects in 3D space in AE.

Like I said: I'm just disappointed in this unexpected roadblock for my ideas for future projects.

If that's what you were doing, then you should be excited that the AE team stopped working on such a buggy, awful way to do 3d in AE and has moved forward with a much better way to work! The Photoshop 3d import thing was just awful and slow and ick. It was not worth messing with. You haven't lost anything at all without it - except frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Szalam wrote:

rhannebaum wrote:

If that's what you were doing, then you should be excited that the AE team stopped working on such a buggy, awful way to do 3d in AE and has moved forward with a much better way to work! The Photoshop 3d import thing was just awful and slow and ick. It was not worth messing with. You haven't lost anything at all without it - except frustration.

"Awful and slow and ick" is better than nothing. I can work with "awful and slow and ick;" I can't work with nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2014 Jul 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, I'm trying to figure out why praguian is not being understood on this thread here. We're not talking about a five dollar toy, Adobe charges untold amounts of money for their tools. I've purchased the past 4 versions. They are save and secure on a disc not on THEIR cloud in THEIR control so I'm not going to get CC. Also, as I recall, Adobe ADVISED those that were not comfortable with a cloud based option to stick witch CS6. I paid Adobe money to do a job, make the freaking tool. They took away ability because they decided it wasn't good enough? Nope, not acceptable. You should have devoted more resources to get it right for CS6, not said "oh well, we'll get it right in the next version and make sure people have to pay even more for it." I also DO NOT expect any company to say, "oh, well, due to our terrible programming in not providing what you need, you should pay a third party vendor" What, no. I paid Adobe, so do your job, OH, and quit acting like your doing me a freaking favor for developing something we are PAYING you to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2015 Mar 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know I'm a little late to this party, but I totally agree with amp76, and praguian for that matter, on this subject. Just because I don't want to pay the subscription to Adobe, doesn't mean I should be punished for purchasing an entire Master collection of their product in order to avoid that subscription. Especially when most of my clients aren't even up to CS6 yet. And even more important when Adobe claimed it wasn't necessary. If that were the case, then the same functionality should have remained from previous versions. What ever happened to customer service? Why does everyone try to make excuses these days instead of just give the customers what they pay for? Do the job you're paid to do and we wouldn't have to pay a third party to pick up the slack for you. And we wouldn't have to take time out of our days to write these replies out of frustration.

Btw, notice that this question is still labelled This question is Not Answered. after all of this time? Customer service at its best. Tell us what's best for us. Thanks Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2014 Dec 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mate try the exrude function.. to get around the main 3d issue for now..  works perfect if you are working with Flat looking designs!!! make a form then extrude it by changing it to 3d then lower your screen render quality to lowest so your screen live upodates wont get too slow.. change the camera option to raytracer.. you re done.. no plug ins.. but if you ll bring in some shiny glossy stuff in the you are againg at the starting point of the issue..

you can also get all bunch of effects applied to your new 3d object using after effects (cs6) it s own material effects if you really need them..

here the link which i found very cool so i can either build  my vector objects in illustrator or build them in ae directly.. then follow the steps in the video.. i hope you have enough to work with..

: Extruding 3D Shapes in After Effects CS6 - YouTube

also see this video from Fraiser Davidson where the E turns in 3d formm i dont even know if that e logo has a 3d object yet it looks cool and you could do that with this extrusion function in cs66.. Hope it helps cheers..  here the fraiser vid.. Everpix - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines