Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looping animated photo

Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Please can anyone tell me how to loop  an animated photo. I have just added some scale and some movement properties,  the animation is about three or four seconds long and I wanted to loop for three minutes.

I have just tried the loopOut(type = "cycle", numKeyframes = 0) expression after precomping the original composition and extending the precomp out to 3 minutes but that doesn't seem to keep the animation.

Thanks

Keith

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you aren't used to working with expressions an easier alternative would be to copy and paste keyframes for the duration you need to loop

Mo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mo

I am learning after-effects through online resources. I was hoping for an automated solution that would loop the animation. Obviously I can duplicate the animated photo layer 30 times and move each layer to the end of the previous one but that seems quite cumbersome so was wondering if there was a quicker method.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

A simple way is:

Step 1: Open the parameter you are animating

Related image

Step 2: Hold Alt (PC) or Option (Mac) and click the stopwatch of the parameter. It will become red.

Step 3: Type in, "LoopOut("cycle")".

Your key frames should loop for ever.

You can also check some YouTube tutorials on Looping Animations.

Hope this helped!

Thank you, Vandam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

loopOut(type = "cycle", numKeyframes = 0) tends to leave blank keyframes and needs time remapping enabled. A little buggy solution

LoopOut("cycle")".

Yes it should work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

loopOut(type = "cycle", numKeyframes = 0) tends to leave blank keyframes and needs time remapping enabled. A little buggy solution

loopOut(type = "cycle", numKeyframes = 0) is exactly the same as loopOut("cycle") is exactly the same as loopOut()

the blank keyframe is because TR end keyframe is after the last frame of the precomp (because it expects an interlaced video footage which is very outdated and should be fixed). to fix the blank frame issue you need to step one frame back from the last keyframe and set a keyframe. then either delete the last keyframe or set it to 0. depends on what you want to achieve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. in the precomp, trim the composition duration to the last frame of your animation (at 3 or 4 seconds mark)

2. in the master comp, enable time remapping for the precomp

3. set an expression loopOut()

4. go one frame before the last keyframe of the timeremapping property and set a keyframe there

5. either delete the last original keyframe of the timeremapping property or set it to 0 (it depends if you want to repeat the first keyframe or to go over it: repeating pattern vs cycle)

another way to go about this is to render the precomp (in a lossless format to not lose quality in your 2nd render), the import it, then in the interpret dialog set it to loop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines