Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Luma Matte in 3D precomps - I can't make it work

Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I have animated an infographic and at the very end, I make the camera dolly into a circle (part of the infographics) that I then want to reveal live-action footage. Now, the animated graphics are are 3D layers inside a 3D pre-comp and the background is also made up of 3D layers inside a 3D pre-comp. For some reason, when I try to make a luma matte of the circle, it doesn't punch a hole through the BG, it just disappears. Am I doing something wrong? 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Withoutr any details about the timeline structure nobody can tell you much. Could be that you need to duplicate the ring layer, could be that you need to re-order stuff and then of course it simply could be that you would need to pre-compose the 3D layers separately and create the matte in 2D based on the baked-in motion of the pre-comps, including possibly linking cameras across comps.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My first guess, you are trying to use the C4D rendering engine or 2D layers as track mattes. If you want a track matte to work on a 3D layer then both layers should be 3D and they should be in the same position. You can achieve that by selecting the track matte layer, hold down the shift key, then parent the track matte layer to the target layer.

Another option might be to shift + parent the matte layer to the layer you want to poke a hole in, then apply Set-Matte to the 3D layer and choose the track matte as the source. 

3D track matte.png

Track mattes and effects do not work on 3D layers using the C4D rendering engine. There is a complex workaround, but it is generally not done. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines