Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing Drop Shadow effect in AE

New Here ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

The Drop Shadow effect in my After Effects suddenly disappeared. I checked the Presets folder in my Mac and it is not in there. After Effects keeps telling me the preset is 'missing'. I'm using AE version 23.4 on an iMac with macOS Monterey. Does anyone have any idea what happened? I tied to re-install the AE app, but didn't help. That preset is still missing.

Screen Shot 2023-05-24 at 6.49.55 pm.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-24 at 6.50.59 pm.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post if it helps you get responses.

<moved from using the community>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This suggests that the plugin is no longer in the expected folder.  Have you moved or deleted any files within the After Effects folder?

On your Mac, the standard location to find plugins for a current version of AE is 

Macinosh HD > Applications > Adobe After Effects 2023 > Plug-ins > Effects

The file name is Drop_Shadow.plugin

If it isn't there, try searching your hard drive for that file name, in case you've inadvertantly moved it.  If you find it elsewhere , put it back in the correct place and restart After Effects.

If you can't find it at all, use the Adobe CC Manager to re-install After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be that After Effects disabled it because of some errors. That happened to me. So, what you'll need to do here is go to Effects > Manage Effects... > Disable checkmar for Only Show Third-Party Effects and find it (or type in search) in the list and enable it. I hope that's the case and will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem.

Thanks for a spot-on solution !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so helpful, solved my problem

thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly! AE turned it off after a crash. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2024 Jul 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!  You saved me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines