• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My remote team can't open my After Effects files. Error: Source file has a bad header

New Here ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work remotely using After Effects and DropBox. We are very careful to make sure everything is saved on DropBox, all links, assets, and project files, and that the DropBox files are synced locally to the team member's computer.

However, whenever I build an after effects project file and my partner opens it on her computer, she's faced with a barrage of errors for every link, saying that the source file has a bad header and other error messages. For example, I created a new project file with a bunch of JPGs linked to the project. When she opened the project file, she got the message "The Source file has a bad header" and that AE can't read the 'GPEJ' file. For some reason it's reading the JPEG file backwards? Once she clicks through all the error messages, she still can't relink the files manually. Only when she goes to the asset folder, opens each file, does her computer let them be linked.

Does anyone have any solutions to this?? It's been a big problem in our workflow and any advice or other systems reccomendations would be super helpful.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

I've updated After Effects, run a disk first aid to repair any permissions on the hard disk which I use for Dropbox. That seems to have fixed my issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue with a project saved on dropbox. When I had such errors before I used to solve it by making sure all assets are synced locally in the dropbox folder (not just online),  but it doesn't seem to work anymore. I wonder if it's a Dropbox issue or adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've updated After Effects, run a disk first aid to repair any permissions on the hard disk which I use for Dropbox. That seems to have fixed my issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines