Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pixelated psd image on zoom

New Here ,
May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am new to AE and got a bit confused with PSD vs AE resolutions:

I am working with raster images that are scanned to photoshop (pencil drawings). I scann them as a 600 dpi PNG file.
Then, I import them to Photoshop to work on them. The PSD file is 300 ppi, and when I zoom in on my photoshop screen - all is sharp and crispy.
Then, I improt it to my AE composition, which is 1920x1080 as seen here in the attached image.

In my animation, I want to zoom in to an object. I am not interested in animting the zoom motion. Just to show a piece of it maginified in the following frame (think about stop-motion as a reference).
So I duplicate my layer and scale the new layer to the point that the object is magnified (200% in).
But I can't, it is all pixelated and blurry.
What I am I doing wrong?
These are pencil drawings that I create and scan, I have full controll on the image quality. Where am I losing resolution?
Thank you!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DPI doesn't matter for video, only absolute pixel count. That's all there is to say about the matter. If you zoom in 200 %, you need twice the number of pixels.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium hit the nail squarely on the head. There are no inches in video, web page, or even a gif file. The PPI metadata does nothing to or for the image in either setting, and you can't even add PPI info to a GIF file. It does not support the metatag.

You usually set the scanning resolution in DPI or Dots Per Inch when you scan something. For every inch of the original object scanned, give me X number of pixels. When you set up an image for printing, you assign PPI or Pixels Per Inch to tell the printer how many pixels you want on every inch of paper. The resolution of an image has nothing to do with the PPI setting. That only controls the resolution of the print. Here's proof. Download both of these images:

RickGerard_0-1652568520422.jpeg     RickGerard_1-1652568539764.jpeg

Open them both in Photoshop or After Effects. They are the same size and the same resolution. Check the PPI. One is 1PPI, and the other is 9999PPI. Add both of these images to any app designed to print on paper like Apple Pages or MS Word. The 1 PPI image will fill the page and then some, and you will be lucky even to be able to see the 9999PPI image because it will be so small. Load them into After Effects or Premiere Pro, or as you can see, put them on a web page, and they will be the same size.

When preparing images for video production, you want to make sure that the part of the image you want to fill the screen is at least close to the same width as the composition. Scale any raster (bitmap) image or video file over about 120% you will start to see a significant loss in quality. The same thing happens with a 3D layer and a camera. If the camera is closer to the layer than the Zoom value of the lens (press 'aa' to see the zoom value of a camera layer), you are scaling up the layer. Moving the camera in is scaling the image.

When you originally scanned the image, if you wanted to zoom in to a one-inch wide section of the video using any video editing or graphics app, the scanner resolution should be the same as the width of the comp. One inch of the original image would have to be scanned at 1920 DPI for your project. When you open that image in Photoshop, the PPI would probably be set to 320 PPI unless the scanner software adds a PPI metadata tag to the image.

I hope this helps. Properly preparing images for video production is one of the least covered workflows in class and in tutorials, but it is one of the most important things you should learn how to do. There is much more to it than just properly setting up scanner resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. luckily my scanner has the option to scan 1200 dpi!
These are small illustrations, and when open it in Ps the resulition shown is 1200 dpi.
My last question is: I usually assemble 5-6 of these small images as diferent layers in a Ps document. What would be there the optimal size of that blank document? Would it still be HD (1920x1080 72 ppi) or should this master document also be configured to twice the size/twice the resolution?
Many thanks

Screenshot 2022-05-16 at 08.58.54.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if you intend on "zooming in", you still need to import it at twice the size. Rule no.1: You can always scale down pixel data with minimal loss of quality and changes in appearance, but you can rarely scale up. So in fact your workflow would be to import a 3840 px wide artwork, place it in a standard HD comp and scale it down to 50%, then animate its size back up to 100% when you "zoom".

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much - it worked! Now I only have to re-configure 42 files :))

Here is my last qestion - I doubled the size of the Ps canvas to x2 (3846 x 2160, 72 dpi)
Can I just go on and tripple it to x3? Or is it not recomended becouse the file will get heavy and will take forever to render? 
I am getting greedy with the magnification options!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines