• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question: Motion tile - like effect with autoresizing/scaling?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,
I saw this clip a while back and really loved this motion-tile type of collage, where the individual frames sort of scale and as one scales, the others interactively scale smaller or larger - it gives it a very organic feel. I have been trying to recreate this in AE, what I thought originally was just super simple but am completely dumbfounded and unable to achieve the same look. I have tried finding tutorials but nothing helpful except for just typical boring motion tile type of tutorials that are quite basic.

I have become quite familiar with AE but am not as well-versed yet so I am learning but a pretty quick learner so this may end up being just a super simple thing to do and I am overthinking it completely. I have tried all sorts of stuff already but nothing very effective or efficient. I don't want just basic motion tile, again i really want that interactive-ness that the individual frames have with each other.
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you

GIF.gif
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2024 Apr 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simple version is to create a bunch of track mattes e.g. with linear wipe effects or animating their scale and position directly, the more complicated version is to use the same tricks, but rig it all up with expressions so the individual rectangles respond to each other. Even then this is all about structure and setting things up. The math is actualyl simple. After all, you're only calculating a bunch of linear values. Anyway, the methodology is based on creating a track matte for item A, then using its inverted output for B. The result can then be overlapped by C, D, E and so on following the same pattern. Some pre-composing may be necessary.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2024 May 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Awesome, thank you so much for this information. I am going to take a stab at it! This already gives me something to work with 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines