• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"RAM used has been extended for previews. Adjust RAM settings in Preference> Memory & Performance."

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to use edit a video in After Effects that I downloaded from Adobe Stock. It has a green screen and I'm trying to do motion tracking, but keep getting the following error message, "RAM used has been extended for previews. Adjust RAM settings in Preference> Memory & Performance." I did everything it said to no avail. I purged 'All Memory & Disk Cache' as well. I also created more available space on my computer by offloading apps to an external hard drive and I'm still getting the error message. No other apps are in use at the time of using After Effects. I just keep getting the error message and seeing this green flicker and glitch when previewing my work. It's stuck on 2 frames and won't preview further.

I'm running After Effects 22.6 on a Macbook Pro, Mac OS Monterey 12.5..1, M1 chip, with 8GB of memory.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

holyguacajoley a little lower down suggests that downgrading to 22.5 has solved the issue for them.  There's obviously something / bug going on here as lots of people are commenting - I suspect the original poster's issue was indeed caused by RAM but given the other replies here, I'd say downgrading for now might be your best option.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem 64GB of RAM, nothing else opened and not doing anything heavy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same same. Running AE on Macbook Pro M1 Pro with 32 GB RAM. Since the last AE update I am - so to say - not able to work. Preview deadly slow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue with 64GB of RAM in MAC studio with M1 Max chip!!!! what is going on?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. Haven't had this problem since I updated my after effects to 23.0. They're saying it's the GB but it can't be because everyone with higher than 8gb is having the same problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

checkout the solution here: https://youtu.be/xF6-zeP4Npw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. Not able to work at all!!!! I tried downgrading the AE as many suggested in the comments but I can't open my project as I was working on the latest version 😣

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem, was totally unuseable & no way it was my machine. I have plenty of RAM, had gone through all the settings. Finally downgraded to 22.5 & now everything works great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we can savely conclude that 22.6.x has issues. Going back to 22.5 or lower (We've moved back to 22.4, due to other issues) will help for now. Apparently 23 does not have this issue but not every company can upgrade to a new full version in the middle of a project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(note on Mac Ventura version)

AE Beta 23.2.0 (as of nov.30 2022) seems to handle memory much better.
Ram previews on HD 60fps pre-load and play without lag.

I wouldn't use it on long projects, but for short ones it can be OK 🙂 

Seems to fix the keyboard arrows issue on open/save dialogs as well (yay)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solutionn to this problem is very clearly explained in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF6-zeP4Npw 

It explains a few options and also how to downgrade which is what has worked best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines