• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Randomize Repeater Trim Paths

New Here ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to create an animated "radiating light" using only trim paths in AfterEffects. I'm aiming for a flat, single-color, line-art style (see the Illustrator sketch below):

Screenshot 2024-05-31 at 12.50.24 PM.png

Currently, in AfterEffects, I have a single line animated with trim paths. I then used a repeater and rotated it to make it a radiating animation. This works great if I want each instance of the line to be exactly syncronized with the original, but I want each instance of the repeater to animate randomly so that it looks similar to the sketch in illustrator. Is there a way to do this?

Here's a screenshot of what it currently looks like in AE:

Screenshot 2024-05-31 at 1.05.26 PM.png

Any input on this would be great! Thank you!

TOPICS
Expressions , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. You have to use multiple shape items or layers and animate them individually.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could set up one path shape with its animation, add expressions to set a different angle for each copy and to randomize the animation, then duplicate the shape as many times as necessary. For example, the rotation expression might be like this (which would spread the rays evenly around the circle):

n = thisProperty.propertyGroup(3).numProperties;
(thisProperty.propertyGroup(2).propertyIndex-1)*(360/n)

The animation randomizing expression would depend on the nature of your animation and how you want it to operate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines