• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Repeated Crash during Tutorial "Learn the Basics" Adding a Blur Effect

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a complete newbie to After Effects... So I'm doing the tutorials. Didn't get very far before hitting this problem that I cannot seem to get past.

In the "Add a Visual Effect" tutorial, #4 of 5 in "Learn the Basics," I have been following the steps exactly, but the same thing is happening every time in step 2/8: After I add the Fast Box Blur effect to the Summer_Forest.mp4 layer, then change the Blur Radius property to 25 in the effect settings, hitting the tutorial window's "NEXT" button immediately crashes the app, which displays the following error messages in two consecutive pop-up alerts as it dies:

"After Effect error: internal verification failure, sorry! {no current context}"

"After Effects can't continue: very unexpected uncaught exception while application running"

Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 11.55.23 AM.png

What am I supposed to do here? "Very unexpected," indeed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the exact same problem. I ended up just finding beginner tutorials/walkthroughs of After Effects on YouTube and following along with them instead. The tutorials from YouTube include similar steps that the in app AE tutorials want you to do. My conclusion is that there is some type of bug within the app tutorial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please ensure that both of you send in a Bug Report.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

billyzduke  wrote

hitting the tutorial window's "NEXT" button immediately crashes the app

You're saying the hitting the "next" button on the website window is crashing After Effects? 

EDIT:  I just watched the tutorial.  There is no "next" button.  Please be specific about what's happening so someone can help you.

Also provide system specs, AE version etc.

FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem, at the same point in the tutorial.

I'm sorry, I don't understand the "web site window" question. This is a tutorial inside After Effects — it's the one you get to from the Home window: "Let's show you around. Get started with quick tutorials in the Learn panel," with the "Start First Tutorial" button.

As billyzduke said, there's a "Next" button at the bottom of the Learn panel:

2019-07-17_19-42-52.png

But then, the OP already posted a screenshot showing the Next button. What else can I do to get past your skepticism?

After Effects 16.1.2 (Build 55)

macOS 10.13.6

MacBookPro11,3 with 16GB RAM, dual graphics (Intel Iris Pro, Nvidia GT 750M) with discrete GPU active, 512GB storage (117GB free)

This is the third or fourth crash I've had with the tutorial. Some occurred slightly earlier, but I can't point to where.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reach out to Adobe stuff - let them see the mess they've created. *rolling-eyes*

Do others in app tutorials work?

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it is a problem with GPU acceleration of the UI, check the project settings. Maybe it is a problem with the Learn Workspace and the scripting that goes with it.

Try switching workspaces to the default and adding the effect, or try creating a new composition from the footage layer in the Project panel and adding the effect. I can't get it to fail on my machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2019 Jul 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Rick+Gerard  wrote

Maybe it is a problem with GPU acceleration of the UI, check the project settings. Maybe it is a problem with the Learn Workspace and the scripting that goes with it.

Try switching workspaces to the default and adding the effect, or try creating a new composition from the footage layer in the Project panel and adding the effect. I can't get it to fail on my machine.

I think you're onto something. Turning off the UI acceleration didn't help, but I switched to the Standard workspace after setting the Fast Box Blur parameter, then back to Learn. No crash when I clicked Next.

Makes me hopeful that it's a bug I won't hit during normal use. Whether I hit other bugs remains to be seen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines