• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Run after effects script without opening after effects?

Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2013 May 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project as a template. I want to run a script that injects itself with the project and replaces videos and text depending on the contents of my script file. So far so good, but can I run the script without opening after effects GUI? I use this now: afterfx -r c:\script_path\example_script.jsx. Is it considered best practice to have after effects GUI up and running if going to do many script changes on the template? Basically I am looking for the same functionality as aerender with no GUI.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , May 15, 2013 May 15, 2013

-noui

that's it

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To my knowledge scripts cannot change projects without the program actually running. Scripts merely call reflections of the internal commands which only are available when the program runs in full. Perhaps some of that has changed in AE CC, but I'm not aware of it.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks for the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2014 Mar 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can a script start AE and open a project with -noui?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 13, 2014 Mar 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  There are some scripting limitations using -noui, but not many.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-noui

that's it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey thanks for your anwser! But I have an issue in my AE. So this is my command line argument "AfterFX.exe -noui -r E:\work\MovieMaker.jsx",I am trying to run this in background without UI,The script is run,and the first process ,the after effects opens in background,after a few seconds it shuts down!. Nothing is done as per the script!.What's the isssue.This happens only when using -noui,else it is working fine.Thakyou for your any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe your script does things that rely on the UI. If your script uses the app.executeCommand() function, for example, it won't work with -noui (noui = no user interface => no menu)

Mathias Möhl - Developer of tools like BeatEdit and Automation Blocks for Premiere Pro and After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.But I haven't used app.executeCommand() function, anywhere in the script.Thankyou.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's likely an issue with your script.  You should create some kind of output logging from the script that writes to a file in order to understand where the script is breaking.  Once you have logging function in place, you can wrap your script code within a try { } catch (err) { } statement that can output the actual error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines