Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scale the middle part of an image to 0

Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello 🙂

I wanted to make a cool surreal effect where I scale the middle of an image to 0 so the doorway that is there disappears. The rest of the image gets stretched to replace the missing pixels but the edges don't change at all. The problem is I couldn't find a solution other than a really sketchy mesh warp which would also be way too much work to animate. I added a photo but I also couldn't find a solution to make this effect in Photoshop, so you gotta settle for an image with arrows.

I hope you can help me, stay safe, and have a great day ^^

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

As David already kind of hinted at, you need to construct an actual fill element somehow, be that PS or by elaborately slicing your footage in AE with masks. This is nothing that can be handled with just an effect or transform since you literally have nothing to work with. More advanced compositing tools with an actual usable 3D space liek Nuke coulkd also use geometry-based re-projection to create such effects.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way to set this up is with multiple layers:

1) In Photoshop, cut out the doorway and make it a separate layer, then make two more layers for the back-left and back-right parts of the image.

2) Back in After Effects you'll be able to scale the door to 0

3) Then position the anchor points of the back-left and back-right parts to the left and right edges, respectively, then stretch them using the X Scale parameter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As David already kind of hinted at, you need to construct an actual fill element somehow, be that PS or by elaborately slicing your footage in AE with masks. This is nothing that can be handled with just an effect or transform since you literally have nothing to work with. More advanced compositing tools with an actual usable 3D space liek Nuke coulkd also use geometry-based re-projection to create such effects.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, that's a bummer but still thank you for explaing 🙂

I thought it was possible because it's after all basically only a stretch but instad of streching it in any direction it streches into the middle of the footage.

Thank you both for your help tho and have a great day ^^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines