• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Setting the Out Point at the current place in the timeline?

Participant ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello community,

To create a seamless loop of a rotating shape, I have selected the place where I want the end point to be on the timeline. I now want to set the out point at this very precise time.

I think I am right in saying that all I need to do is press the right square bracket key. But that's not working for me. This may be because I have access to AE in English, but with a French keyboard, and the right square bracket is a character that can only be accessed using the AltGr key. I think that's what's causing the issue, as I remember having a similar problem in Photoshop, not being able to use the square brackets to set the size of a brush.

You would have thought that using AltGr + Right Square Bracket would work, but nope, AE and PS do not like it.

I don't have much experience of AE (in Photoshop, I just started using right click and drag to set brush size and opacity) and I don't know how to sort this out. I tried eyeballing the the out point and setting the end of the workspace manually, but it under/overshoots and my loop clips.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Best regards

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The N, B and Ctrl+D shortcuts even work on french keyboards. Split the layer at whatever point you deem the right one, set the work area, use the edit menu's Trim Comp to Work Area feature. and by all means, read the help. Yopu'll spend al lday writing posts on this forum asking simple questions if you don't brush up on the basics.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did.

After Effects keyboard shortcuts reference

Move selected layers so that their In point or Out point is at the current time

[ (left bracket) or ] (right bracket)

[ (left bracket) or ] (right bracket)

Trim In point or Out point of selected layers to current time

Alt+[ (left bracket) or Alt+] (right bracket)

Option+[ (left bracket) or Option+] (right bracket)

Hence the questions about out points, which was how it was described in After Effects Essential Training.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @christophcuny,

I have had the same problem that you.
With a french keyboard, the shortcuts left and right bracket isn't available.

The single solution is to change thoses shortcut.

I think that the problem is that After Effects ignores "ALT GR" like modifier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes.  Obvious solution is to change the [  ] shortcuts to something that a french keyboard can deal with.  Less obvious solution is the entire world start speaking & writing in English.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines