• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Show Deprecated Formats in Output Module Settings don't appear in my output option!

Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I'm new at using Adobe After Effects CC 2014 and all the help guilds I look up for After Effects say to change your video output to something like h.264 (MP4) out fit I need to click on the check box called 'Show Deprecated Formats in Output Module Settings', BUT will doesn't appear on my options area. Only three options are in that section, but nothing named that. Can someone please help me with this problem?!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jun 23, 2014 Jun 23, 2014

See this for an explanation for this change and for the recommend workflow:

using Adobe Media Encoder to create H.264, MPEG-2, and WMV videos from After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate
Dec 04, 2014 Dec 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> that would be just dandy if AE CC 2014 didn't save in a format unrecognizable by AE CC.

You can save backward:

opening After Effects projects from previous versions and saving back to previous versions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 18, 2014 Dec 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any movement or word on this?  Have people been using the suggestion form to request these come back?  I also heavily use direct to H264 for client previews, as well as WMV for a lot of work.  The news on 2014 keeps on getting "better".  I thought the "blue issue" was the last straw ... sheesh.  Very disappointing.  Guess I am just glad that you can have pretty much every version of AE on the same computer at the same time, eh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2014 Dec 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is by and far the WORST decision EVER. This completely slows down my workflow and creates so many unnecessary steps. I create content for digital signage. The 2 main file types we use are WMV and h.264. I'm really sorry if it is inconvenient for you guys to keep up with these codecs..However, they are an integral part of ALL digital media today. We need those codecs STRAIGHT OUT OF AE...not as a second step. PLEASE PUT THEM BACK. You have NO idea how adversely this affects a work flow and one's efficiency.I know you don't...otherwise this change would have never been considered. Bad, bad move. Boo After Effects!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2014 Dec 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right. for digital signage that w the WORST DECISION EVER! my whole studio keeps using older CC version because of the inconvenience workflow.

we all want to upgrade and take advantage of the recent updates but that bad downgrade is preventing us from upgrading the software. SO BAD.

and even worst is that we know ADOBE's staff is reading this. they even sometimes reply to this post. But they never reply to the main issue but only for the side questions...

feels like they think if they stuck their head deep in the ground the problem will just go away.

Well, guys - it won't!

Please give us a update on how you fix this workflow to let your costumers follow your updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2014 Dec 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe..please reconsider. This is the first time in my over 10 years of working with AE that I'm disappointed in the product. You are letting down a HUGE portion of your client base with this move. AE is OUR product. We pay for the licensing and development..why can't we have a few simple codecs that have been around FOREVER and that are in use all throughout modern media. Just put it back to EXACTLY the way it was...your entire community is in an uproar. Are you really going to just turn the other cheek and look away or give your end users what they want? The world of digital designers is watching...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 30, 2014 Dec 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to remind everyone that this issue is troubling ... definitely submit a bug report or feature request here:

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Todd and the others can only do so much, even if they completely agree with you.  You need to file a request, and it wouldn't hurt to get everyone you know who is interested in seeing this turned around do the same.

-Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this opportunity to be heard! I entered my ticket and will pass

along!

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 4:58 AM, TimmyCrackCorn <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if I still need to create these kinds of videos from the After Effects render queue?

If you still need to be able to create videos in these formats from the After Effects render queue for some reason, you can still do so by leaving After Effects CC (12.2.1) installed alongside After Effects CC 2014 (13.0) and using the previous version for these specific output tasks.

The problem is when I go back, the old version reminds me I am missing the new effects just added, which for working with green screen projects can make a huge difference. Not a really good solution is it.

We need the speed of the After Effects engine in the Adobe Media encoder.

When I encode my file in Adobe Media Encoder instead of After Effects it's like stepping out of a Lamborghini into a VW bug. Love your products but not all your decisions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2015 Aug 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sultanvarlik wrote:

This is your solution. Have a nice day!

[Obsolete] How To Enable H.264(MP4) Output Settings In After Effects CC Mac & Windows! - YouTube

Errrrnt!  Nice try and thanks for playing ... but NO.  This is not the same thing. 

Seriously though, I appreciate the attempt to help, but unfortunately this doesn't quite cover it.  It makes zero sense they got rid of it, and I have yet to hear an explanation that (LOGICALLY) explains away this poor decision.  I had ZERO issues with the MainConcept H264 encoder that was built-in.

Take care,

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They explained it... they said it was too hard to maintain in After Effects (or actually they said it would "take even more work").

The reason that we removed the H.264, MPEG-2, and WMV exporters from the After Effects render queue is simple: Maintaining these exporters in After Effects took quite a lot of work, and fixing several significant bugs in these exporters would take even more work.

We pay to get a product from Adobe. Adobe says we can't give you 100% of the product, because it's too much work.

But instead of using 1 product, we now double or triple your work flow time and double or triple your H.264 file's size AND we make you use 2 products to achieve what use to take you 5 mins with 1 product.

Genius-ery at work I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I've heard all the nonsense ... notice, I said logical explanation

To use (yet another) car analogy:

It's like ... "Adobe Cars" says:  "Here's your NEW car.  But you can't use it to get from point A to point B anymore because we've removed the steering wheel and some other key controls.  Even though they worked fine for thousands of drivers, and needed no real maintenance, we're pulling them from the car anyway."

" `Why?', you ask?  Well, let' s just say it was too much trouble.  After all, we really needed to use the time (the time that it really wouldn't take in the first place) to add those new fins, LED undercarriage lights, and add that extra coating of chrome to the wheels you don't really need."

"But don't worry!  So what you want to do now is ... you see we have this other car that comes with this one.  It's a lot smaller, and you'll need the gas and battery from the original car, but that way you can store stuff in the first car, while you drive this other one you've transferred the gas and battery to."

"Oh, by the way ... this second car ... it's a hell of a lot slower, smells funny, and doesn't quite get you to your original destination."

I think that's it in a nutshell, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't mind using the old car that works just fine (Adobe CC prior to CC 2015), but apparently "Adobe Cars" keeps rolling out 'new & improved' model cars and is taking our old cars out of our driveways and replacing them with these 'new & improved' models.

It takes us users of these cars to drive around for a few days to realize we got jipped at the dealership - except we never went to the dealership, they replaced our cars without notice.  They happily offer us our old car back but after tons of time and effort of our own accord we are able to get our old cars back.

Meanwhile clueless 'new' car owners are raving about how awesome their car is, but they haven't even taken it out of the driveway yet and then they even claim we're not driving the new car correctly.

*sigh*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2016 Jun 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, You're killing me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for those who miss the functionality of creating H.264 in Ae, you might consider using this script for rendering H.264 right from after effects: AfterCodecs - aescripts + aeplugins - aescripts.com.

currently only Windows systems are supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Roei+Tzoref  wrote

for those who miss the functionality of creating H.264 in Ae, you might consider using this script for rendering H.264 right from after effects: AfterCodecs - aescripts + aeplugins - aescripts.com.

currently only Windows systems are supported.

Thanks!  That might be a godsend, Roei!  It's obvious Adobe doesn't give a rat's A$$ and will NEVER offer valid rationale for removing it, let alone fix it.  At least someone apparently stepped up to the plate and fixed this nonesense.  THANK YOU AGAIN!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AME is garbage. I have tried using it for a while, and eventually just went back to the render que because it is faster, easier, and better in every way. I have had no problems using AE render que to export h264 files until 15.1.1. Please put render que back to how it was. It worked better then AME for some of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just tried to export using AME. A 2 minute video with 5 layers (I do 2 of these per month for a client) used to take about 6 minutes to render in h264 in render que. AME is estimating 50 minutes... fml

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try rendering to a production codec (DNxHR, Cineform, etc.) out of the render queue and then using that in AME to make your deliverable. See how the speed difference is. If that works for you, you can set up a watch folder in AME so that you just render the production codec out of AE and AME automatically makes the H.264 for you.

Alternatively, if you want a really smooth user experience, you can get AfterCodecs. Not only does it produce H.264 directly out of AE (better than AME according to some folks and much better than the old .mov hack you were using), but it also lets you do HAP, ProRes (even on Windows), and more! I use it with some frequency and I like it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Media Encoder is SUCK!

Too0o0o0o0o slow! Too many errors!

have you ever used AE?

Roll back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use AE and the AME almost every day to make a living. It works just fine if you know what you are doing and your system is compatible. The latest CC version with it's improved tools has given me about a 25% increase in productivity and about a 10% increase in profit over previous versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what i said about slow means AME's loading time.

Sometimes it just not work.

I have no problem with render time.

it's good once rendering started.  

I think your comp is lighter than mine.

Good for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The last comp I rendered had 30 layers and took about 4 minutes a frame to render. My max is 7 minutes a frame. If they take longer than that I redesign. Really complex comps are rendered using RenderGarden | by Mekajiki and the H.264 is automatically generated with the script while I continue to work in AE. This tool cuts render time by an average of more than 60% on my system.

I do create a fair number of simple projects that I just send to the AME and that works just fine, especially if it is already open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines