• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Skew/shear text in After Effects

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking to create this slanted text effect in After Effects. I've been looking forever trying to figure out how to do it. Fairly simple to do to a shape using transform but I don't have that option with text. I'd prefer to keep the editing capabilities for the text too. 

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 10.59.29 AM.png

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Create a new text layer with some text
  2. Reveal the text layer properties by spinning down the twirly>
  3. Select the Animation button and add Skew
  4. Select the rotation property for the text layer
  5. Add this expression to Rotation using the pickwhip
    - text.animator("Animator 1").property.skew
  6. Adjust the skew to change the angle

Screenshot_2020-01-24 09.53.53_k8LYux.png

You could reverse the expression by tying the skew to the rotation like this:
          - transform.rotation

With the first method, you transform the rotation using Skew, with the second method you transform Skew using Rotation.  Both of these methods keep the text properly lined up. You could also just type in the values manually but that makes it harder to make design changes later on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick's answer is how I'd do this, though just to toss out another potential solution - the Displacement Map effect.
You can use another layer's white/black values (or other color channels, alpha channels, etc.) to distort a layer.

I covered several examples and use cases here, one of which is this exact look: https://youtu.be/gkFUztG7fL0?t=660

Get your most pressing After Effects and Motion Design questions answered LIVE. Evan Abrams and Kyle Hamrick are taking your questions on air. Bring your troubles, your woes, your problems. We want to solve them every Friday this fall! Get at us in the chat and let's get into it! This week we kick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the Transform effect (under the distort effect folder) on your live text, it has a skrew function

krisztiankis_0-1630077588571.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! It's a while since the topic was posted, by someone else, but I was looking for this answer. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines