Exit

Slow audio playback in AE CC 2017

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fil 000 - YouTube

Made a video showing the issue.

Basically the song just becomes slower and slower when it's played back and it really hurts my project since I can't tell if the audio is synced or not.

General info:

MacBook Air

Latest version of AE CC 2017

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Sep 16, 2017 Sep 16, 2017

It is getting slower and slower because frames are dropping and it is not playing at realtime even though the timeline bar is green.

I have tried on MAC book pro playing the audio with 120 FPS and faced the same issue because if you open the info panel and than playback the composition it will show that playback is not realtime and frames are dropping.

And if you off the video(eye icon) in the preview panel and than playback..Audio should playback fine.

Try Pre-render from > Main Menu > Compositi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you see my previous post right above this one where I mention changing the Sample Rate in your Project Settings? Thats the golden ticket for me. Change the sample rate then do another purge. Hope this helps you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is going to seem too easy but first thing first, try restarting your computer first before any of the other suggestions. This very simple thing can solve it for some.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much, i think it's kinda working for me

first time i ever log into my acc to comment on this forum, cause that comment might have saved me a lot of time

also ive noticed that ASIO (Device class in general preferences) plays just fine for me (i have a soundcard), but it's just playing at max volume  which makes it unbearable, and i cant seem to get any asio4all driver to work and provide a decent user interface either... but if the MME option starts glitching again ill dive deeper into ASIO.

Anyways thank you for taking the time to reply here and also i agree with you on how the "deal with it or use another software" attitude is so lame 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The truth is that if you need an accurate preview of more than a few seconds of audio you cannot rely on AE to provide that accuracy.  Is that BS?  Yes it is.  But it is also the reality of the situation.  Also in my experience you need to set the work area to a small area (4 or 5 seconds) and let it loop through once before you'll get an accurate preview.  Otherwise AE drops audio frames in order to give the "illusion" that it can playback audio.  For example, when I listen to a narration it might sound like the narrator dropped an "s" off of a word or even an entire syllable off the end of a word but it 99.9% of the time it's just AE dropping a frame.  So I have to adjust the work area to the few seconds around that area, let it loop though once and on the second playthrough I can hear accurate audio.  That's how I get around AE inability to playback audio in realtime.  It sucks but if I want accurate playback it's what have to do.

Yes it's super frustrating but It's also a waste of time appealing to Adobe to fix it.  If they could they would have by now so either they can't or they wont.  The "deal with it or use another software" is actually practical advice when you think about it.  I mean what is the alternative?  Waiting for Adobe to fix it?  It ain't gonna happen.

After Effects CANNOT playback audio in realtime for more than a few seconds.  And even for that few seconds you'll need a fast computer, cache drive, to make sure all your playback settings are optimized and apperently, according to someone here, to not move your mouse (i didn;t know about that trick) End of story.

So if you're a professional (or tryning to be) and need to get something done for a client, you do what you have to do to circumvent the softwares shortcomings. You "deal with it".

however If you're just a hobbyist working on a personal project who feels they should not have to do anything to get AE to do what it should already be able to do than you can just say "screw this software and screw your answer".  It's important to recognize the things we can control and the things we cannot.  But feel free to vent your frustration at either me or at Adobe.  It can feel good to do that.  But it wont change the reality of the situation.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

changing the frames from 60 to 30 worked for me after effects cc 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines