• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smoothing out roughness/graininess ..?

Contributor ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,, noob here,, is there any way to remove some of the roughness/graininess/pixelation etc from a (background) stock animation such as this (ie like any specific plugins/filters/techniques etc)(see still below)? Thnx!

grain.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 14, 2017 Oct 14, 2017

There are some fairly good 3rd party tools that will help you with this problem. The product and the use depend entirely on the footage. Inside AE there is a Remove Grain effect in Effects>Noise & Grain that will do a fairly good job on some footage. I would put the footage in its own comp, trim it to the length you need it to be in your project plus a couple of frames so you can make some adjustments and then render to a suitable visually lossless DI format (digital intermediate) and replace th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe try adding a slight blur to the video. Perhaps a Gaussian Blur effect and adjust the amount of blur to small percentage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnx, my goal is to smooth out the rough areas, but also not lose any sharpness.. I guess it would be something of a more 'involved' clean-up.. That's why I was wondering if there was a particular specialized effect or something for such a task..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2017 Oct 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some fairly good 3rd party tools that will help you with this problem. The product and the use depend entirely on the footage. Inside AE there is a Remove Grain effect in Effects>Noise & Grain that will do a fairly good job on some footage. I would put the footage in its own comp, trim it to the length you need it to be in your project plus a couple of frames so you can make some adjustments and then render to a suitable visually lossless DI format (digital intermediate) and replace the footage in your project. Why go to that trouble? Because Remove Grain and the 3rd party options, take a very long time to render and if you stack up a bunch of other effects on top of the footage it's pretty easy to run into rendering and performance problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnx, that seems to make quite a difference..

Just to clarify, when I "render and replace" a 'dynamically linked' Premiere clip to "Quicktime - GoPro Cineform RGB12-Bit with Alpha at Maximum Bit-Depth," does that count as "visually lossless"?  Thnx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep, that’s what I use for a lot of my DI’s.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines