• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Source Text Reverting to previous value

Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a text layer with the source text being an expression for a data value from a csv

footage("Car facts.csv").dataValue([0,0])

The text displays on screen for about 30 seconds but during that 30 seconds it flicks at random times between the text and some placeholder text I used in the layer whilst I was designing the layout. If I change the value to another part of the source spreadsheet it flicks between the new (correct) value and the oroiginal placeholder text but at different time periods. Seems to be random.

It does this in the preview, when I render from AE and when I render from AME.

Any suggestions what might be cuasing it?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

It seems to be a bug. You need to use a script to fix it.

Run the script below.

It should set the selected text layer value with the expression value and disable the expression.

You can also directly add the composition to the render queue.

CSV_FIX.jsx

var proj = app.project;
var thisComp = proj.activeItem;
var selectedLayers = thisComp.selectedLayers;
app.beginUndoGroup("undo");
for (var i = 0; i < selectedLayers.length; i++) {
  if (thisComp.selectedLayers[i] instanceof TextLayer) {
    var source

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not experienced that myself, but it sounds like a caching problem.  Have you tried clearning your cache.  At that point AE should use the CSV solely for building previews (instead of the placeholder).  I seem to remember there was a bug with AME and CSV files.  But I rarely use CSV files so I'm not sure if it was resolved.

This bug thread might have more information: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-bugs/render-problems-csv-files-and-after-effects/idc-p/...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've cleared the cache, closed AE and re-opened, and updated to the latest version but none of these fixed.

I had read a few posts about issues with AME and csvs but I'm getting the problem even in the preview in AE. When I do render it via AME the correct text is there for the majority of the video it's just random glitch like flickers to the previous text and then back again. I've attached a short demo of it from a rended done via AME.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to test, what happens if you set the text value to the layer's name using expressions?  (in the expressions area, use the pickwhip to link to a layer - the name should appear in text)

I'm wondering if it's limited to the CSV or if it's the text layer.

Might also be worth replacing the text layer with a new one to compare (can't imagine this would make much difference).    You could try rendering out as an image sequence and see if the glitch continues (I'm wondering if some pre-compression thing is happening)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting the name to the text layer name using an expression is stable so it's looking like it's the reference to the csv.

I also added a new text layer and set it with the same expression. It disappeared and reappeared in a similar fashion to the other text layers reverting to their old values, this new text layer doesn't have an old value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing to try would be to drag your csv into the timeline and then pickwhip your source text to that data element in the csv layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I've just tried this. In AE preview it still did the glitching and when I rendered it in AME it lost all reference to the csv values entirley and just displayed the old placeholder text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be a bug. You need to use a script to fix it.

Run the script below.

It should set the selected text layer value with the expression value and disable the expression.

You can also directly add the composition to the render queue.

CSV_FIX.jsx

var proj = app.project;
var thisComp = proj.activeItem;
var selectedLayers = thisComp.selectedLayers;
app.beginUndoGroup("undo");
for (var i = 0; i < selectedLayers.length; i++) {
  if (thisComp.selectedLayers[i] instanceof TextLayer) {
    var sourceText = thisComp.selectedLayers[i].text.sourceText;
    sourceText.setValue(sourceText.value);
    sourceText.expressionEnabled = false;
  }
}
app.endUndoGroup();

// AddtoRenderQueue
app.executeCommand(2161);

// OR using Media Encoder
// app.executeCommand(3800);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked a treat, thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines