• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

stack overrun expression error

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having issues with a stack overrun expression error. It's a unique issue because the error disappears when I search for the error by clicking on the magnifying glass. I am able to render the the comp without any issues but the problem is that when I'm using third party automater "Templater" to render the composition remotely the expression error is haulting the render. 

Any tips on how to remove the stack overrun expression error? I'd like to avoid removing or simplifying the expressions since I know After Effects is able to handle them when I render manually.  

TOPICS
Error or problem , Expressions , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without any info about your project, where the expression is applied and what the code actually is nobody can tell you much. Simply sounds like you created a "greedy" expression with bad code and/ or applied it to a property that does not handle the values the expression generates correctly. Relying on AE's safety mechanisms to save your bacon sounds like a bad approach to handling this...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for getting back to me! here's a breakdown of the issue. I've also attached a few screenshots of the referenced expressions. Any help would be hugely appreciated as I've been at this template for over a month now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are likely creating an internal race condition. None of your expressions actually check whether the other has worked its magic, in particular the various sourceRectAtTime() uses. It would be smart to pack such stuff inside a single expression on a dummy control, then only read out the values the control produces via simple pickwhip expressions. Point in case: All your expressions work on their own, but you may run into scenarios where they produce implausible values and cannot determine which parts evaluate after one another.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the reply. that makes sense. so just to confirm... the expression issue may resolve if I move the expressions on to one control layer and then have the position of all the layers pickwhipped to the outputs given on the control layer? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Running the calculations inside a single expression where you can control the processing order should avoid these problems. Otherwise you're facing long hours debugging this by turning off individual expressions, changing your slider values and then repeating this forever until you find the culprit. In my hayday I used to create dedicated "Control" layers for this that held a ton of point controls and sliders just to calculate those values. Not only does it avoid evaluation issues, but is also much easier to re-use and streamline than drilling inside specific expressions on tons of individual layers.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines