Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Layer - Random Fade Up with Colours

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!

I'm animating a text layer on screen using the Random Fade Up effect by characters.

I would like the characters to randomly fade up with each letter being any one of 3 chosen colours red/blue/white (and any selection of 3 colours i may choose at any other time).

Eventually i'm going to animate another solid white text layer over the top so the final result is just a white text layer but i'd like to be able to see a few colours coming through as it animates on. 

At the moment i've got one layer that is red with the letters randomly fading up. A second blue layer offset and then the third layer - the white text randomly fading off to finish. The only problem at the minute is the red and blue make a purple colour when the overlapping letters are anywhere better 1-99% opacity.

Is there an expression i could use, which would work in this situation?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

I'm not sure this solves your problem, but try it to see if it gives you some ideas. Create some black text and add a white RGB Fill Color Animator. Then add an Expression Selector and add this expression to its Amount property:

colors = [[100,0,0],[0,0,100],[100,100,100]]; // red, blue, white
seedRandom(textIndex,true);
idx = Math.floor(random(colors.length));
colors[idx]

That should give each character a randomized red, blue, or white color. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expressions can't fix anything that you couldn't fix with normal keyframes and property values. You have a severe misunderstanding there. That being the case, none of this would do anything to change the blending behavior, which is a normal layer/ effect function at the core of AE. The only way to avoid it would be to create a manual transition gradient which indeed could involve some expressions as well, but without knowing how you've actually set things up we can't even begin to guess. Your description is at best vague and generic. You have to give us something to work with like an actual screenshot of the timeline and properties and how the result looks in the comp.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dude.  Calm down.  Maybe asking for clarity can be less patronizing.  Glad I stumbled upon the other answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure this solves your problem, but try it to see if it gives you some ideas. Create some black text and add a white RGB Fill Color Animator. Then add an Expression Selector and add this expression to its Amount property:

colors = [[100,0,0],[0,0,100],[100,100,100]]; // red, blue, white
seedRandom(textIndex,true);
idx = Math.floor(random(colors.length));
colors[idx]

That should give each character a randomized red, blue, or white color. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As ever Dan with your support, that expression works perfectly. Thank you so much and thank you for being able to interpret my "vague & generic" description.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines